May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, j7l2, Ted Schefelbein, Hammergun, SKB, 1 invisible), 331 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts545,999
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#27384 02/22/07 09:48 PM
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Need suggestions for good digital camera that is easy to use for taking good quality firearms photos for posting and internet sales.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Budget?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think a tripod is more important for close-ups.
Any good digital camera will work.

Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I use a tripod. There are so mnay out there, its hard to know. I have had several Olympus digital cameras. 3.2 and then 5.0 MP. For whatever reason they dont take the photos I want and every one who uses a Nikon or Canon seems to have better color and imagaes.
i guess under 500.00 as a budget.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suggest you look at a camera with vibration reduction. I am told, and I have read, that it makes a tripod obsolete.

Not talking from experience. All my photos are with an old Fuji set on a tripod, using natural light as much as possible.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few makers of digital cameras incorporate an "anti shake" device or something called similar. Panasonic is one. I find that this device "helps" get clear photos in macro, as well as telephoto mode without using a tripod. A tripod may improve them some, but my camera with this feature seems superior to others I have had.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think most of the newer digitals will do the job. The anti-shake technology may improve the picture but I put my faith always in a tripod. My "old" Olympus c-720 3.2 meets quality standards for all my purposes, snaps and publications. I was told by a Japanese software engineer in Paris last year Olympus has the biggest share of the medical optical field.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hello,

I use a Nikon 5700, and I am very happy with it.

Thierry Duguet,Traditional Custom Hand Engraver
http://WWW.ENGRAVER.NET
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian, To give yourself the most flexibility, try and move to the SLR style digital. These are the type that usually have replaceable lens capability, manual and autofocus, and a hotshoe for a seperate flash unit. An entry level Canon Digital Rebel would meet these requirements. These are some important aspects of firearm photos that should be addressed: Note: If you are making any attempt at decent photos, a tripod is a must. A SLR camera gives you the ability to view and compose through the viewfinder and to postview on the digital screen. The viewfinder is capable of more precise focus especially with closeup compositions. A small zoom lens ie: 25-105mm range will cover most of your needs. A closeup lens[that being a screw on style like a filter] will be helpful in tight closeups of sideplate engraving etc. The hotshoe attachment is important as you need the ability to mount a seperate flash unit and direct it to bounce your flash and diffuse the light. Brian, there are lots of online purchase possibilities for stretching your dollar. Get the best gear you can as I think a photo that is well lit, properly composed, will outsell the opposite. I will e-mail a couple gun photos that shows the concept I'm trying to describe. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I certainly value my 3 tripods, I don't use them very often on quick gun pics I post here. I've had excellent results with a couple point n shoot digitals. One is a few year old Konica Minolta Z2 and the other is a Pentax WP pocket sized waterproof camera. The Z2 is probably the better of the two in terms of quality and ease of use. I also have a Nikon D50 with a selection of lenses including a 60mm MicroNikkor.

No matter the camera you choose, and there are many good ones for your task, lighting will play the biggest factor in your pics. You can choose to use studio type lighting (whether makeshift or pro stuff) or use a TTL remote capable flash using bounce and other 'tricks'.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.