May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Mike Harrell, prairie ghost), 701 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,607
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, brother. Okay lets continue. The only problem is they only cover the English patents and do not fully cover the French, German, Belgium and the other countries that have developed the breech loading sidelock. Hopefully, the book or books mentioned by Wildcattle, when translated, will cover those countrys development as well. A more complete study of even one of those countries would be beneficial as to which maker called what pin a peg or an axle or a pin.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys, I think some are getting away from the topic and need to do private messaging.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW- are you ever tempted to take some stones and crocus cloth to the lockwork of the Zabala?

The design, a back action coil sprung sidelock is intriguing, but the surface finish obviously was not a priority at the factory.

Ever since suffering two V spring breaks on consecutive hunts on the same high end SXS, I gained great respect for coil springs.

On the general topic of pins. How is a pinless action classified and compared to a pinned one? The classic sidelock has visible pins, pinless guns are a later development, reputed to have been devised so as to offer more engraving room.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 06/13/13 04:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunlover, I take it you are referring to the inside of the lock. If so this is what I did to them. If you mean the outside, that is the way it came and will stay. Wish I could find more like these at the price I paid. Missed out on a nice 20.

Last edited by JDW; 06/13/13 04:07 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover

On the general topic of pins. How is a pinless action classified and compared to a pinned one? The classic sidelock has visible pins, pinless guns are a later development, reputed to have been devised so as to offer more engraving room.

A "pinless" action is in name only. The maker simply controls the hole depth so as to maintain blind holes, holes that don't show on the lock plate outside. Screws, pins, axles, pivots, etc. are sized so as to fit the blind holes. More work for the maker, but it then shows an uninterrupted engraving surface. OK, technically it has more engraving area, as by the combined section area of those pins, screws, pivots, and axles, and etc.

I have a theory that it was developed to further comfound the discussion of how many pins equals what -----
crazy wink grin

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
One thing I didnt want to do is steer this conversation away from the particulars of the sidelock.

And Mike, with all due respect, how can you introduce that derogatory term Boxlock into this conversation? It would be like a bunch of guys standing around discussing their vintage Bentley or Bugatti and a guy drives up in his old, beat up stationwagon trying his best to bust into the conversation. whistle smile

smile Sorry Treblig, mind you I must confess I like a Westley droplock as much as a side lock and I do like Bentleys and Bugattis, here are a few pics of mine before financial circumstnces meant it had to go frown

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/mlb6363...362288106052356

best
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I hate to break away from the main subject matter, but WOW that is one nice automobile. Is it a true restoration and there can't be that many survivors left in the world.
What model is that, it doesn't look like a Type 35?

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW- yes that is the treatment I had in mind, so everything really works as it should. Now if a maker sees his way to put that simplified lock into something based on the external form of the Holland Dominion, I would be interested.

Mike- that is one handsome vehicle. It must have needed a lot of determination to maintain in that condition!

Rocketman- the only pinless I held in my hands was a Zannotti, with the pins sticking up, machined from the solid. I guess the same visual effect is rendered with blind pin holes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would rather see the pins showing. Looks more aesthetic, especially when they are blued.
There is a lot more work in making them "pin less". If the lock plates are only about .125 thick (1/8"), then the hole depth would have to be a little over .093 (3/32") and a bottoming tap used to get near the full depth of the thread, but then again the hole through locks have to have the threads to a certain depth also as to not let them go through the lock plate and yet still be tight.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike!!!! That was all tongue and cheek humor on my part that blew up in my face. I'll try to be more careful next time. It's all because I love the muzzleloaders which are, of course, 99.9% sidelocks and never cared much for the breechloaders.

But carry on guys, carry on.

Beautiful car Mike!!! Bugatti and Bentley, what names and what a heritage!!! smile

Last edited by treblig1958; 06/14/13 01:38 PM. Reason: messed up
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.