May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Birdog, j7l2, 1 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,653
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
(the Greener appears to be ever so slightly tapered and the fired shell from my Belgian gun hangs a bit before fully chambering)

I do not recall ever seeing a shotgun chamber which was not slightly tapered. normal taper is about .005" per inch or .0125" for a 2" chamber. A sizing ring can of course only size a single diameter. This is generally adequate for paper or plastic hulls. For serious work with brass shells when resizing needs done I would think a custom tapered sizing die would be a valuable asset. Even a hand die where the hull is simply driven in & out should be quite practical.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I load Mag Tech 16 ga. hulls and have found them more than satisfactory and I'm fortunate in that I can switch them between a drilling and a combination gun. However!!! I have NEVER been able to keep an OSC in place for more than one or two shots before it pulls and you hear shot from the unfired barrel rolling out the tube as you lower it to reload...or in the case of my combination gun you hear it rolling down the shotgun tube as you lower it to reload the rifle barrel. I do use one size larger OSC's and have used "Duco" in the past. I did know that "water glass" was used in the originals but never sourced any. Question I have is, finally, how many shots will the water glass absorb before the OSC is pulled from the hull and the shot rolls out the tube, and, where might water glass be sourced?

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been told that water glass can be found in pharmacies. My experience is with brass cases with pinfires. I have found that if I use a .125" thick oversized wad for an over shot wad, that the .125" inch thick wad in the adjacent barrel stays in place. Of course the diameters of the case and .125" thick wad must be matched properly so the wad has enough friction when loaded. It has worked for me , shooting about 100 rounds , but I cannot guarantee it would work for everyone. I shoot 1 1/8 oz of shot in a 10 bore pinfire case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello All. My experience with brass hulls has been 2 fold. First, I ordered some brass hulls in 10 ga from Track of the Wolf for use in my Remington 1894 with Damascas barrels. Their web site says they are sized to fit a Parker chamber. Silly me, I thought that meant they would fit the chambers in my Remington. Nope, a good .010 to .015 over size. Then I bought a dozen from RMC to use in the same Remington. The RMC hulls fit perfectly. I use this gun with black powder and Nice Shot for duck hunting on Lake Champlain. I use a .080" OSC glued in with Duco and so far, no problems with the OSC card coming loose in the second barrel.

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a thin over shot card sealed with super glue. Providing the interior of the brass walls were cleaned of grease after loading the powder and wads but before adding the shot and card it holds the card very well through multiple shots. Far better than other glues I've tried.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread has got me interested in loads for my 24 ga. I have a dozen hulls for it plus the wads that are new. They were given to me several years back by a friend. These hulls use a large rifle primer so now to buy some nice shot to load them up with. Am going to have to see what powder will work with 11/16ths. oz. of shot.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

2-piper wrote, I do not recall ever seeing a shotgun chamber which was not slightly tapered. normal taper is about .005" per inch or .0125" for a 2" chamber. A sizing ring can of course only size a single diameter. This is generally adequate for paper or plastic hulls. For serious work with brass shells when resizing needs done I would think a custom tapered sizing die would be a valuable asset. Even a hand die where the hull is simply driven in & out should be quite practical.

Please note the chamber shape of my 16 Ga. AyA.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z44/doublejranch/fly%20rods%20and%20shotguns/DSC_0040.jpg

Sharps4590 wrote,I have NEVER been able to keep an OSC in place for more than one or two shots before it pulls and you hear shot from the unfired barrel rolling out the tube as you lower it to reload...or in the case of my combination gun you hear it rolling down the shotgun tube as you lower it to reload the rifle barrel.

I have used a variety of glues and settled on water Glass only because I had to buy a quart of the stuff as it does not come in small quantities. Glue does not appear to be as important as I once thought because the oversized OS cards seem to contain the shot effectively and the glue is just added security. There has not been an OSC failure in a long time.
Sharps, It is possible that the osc you use is neither stiff or large enough. My oscs were purchased from Circle Fly. Also, you might give Fletch Tight a try. Fletch Tight is a glue used to secure fletching on composite arrow shafts

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by skeettx; 04/12/14 05:50 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Daryl, mergus and wyobird all hit on a good part of my problem. The thickness of my OSC. I have been cutting my cards from about .030 cardboard, florist boxes to be exact. They work great in roll crimped 2 1/2" hulls but evidently are too thin for friction/glued wads. Apparently the thicker card does not blow your pattern?

That and I believe I will try the super glue Joe menitons.

Thank you gentlemen.

Vic

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice looking picture, however I am of course totally unable to "See" the dimensions of the chamber which are inside the barrels.
I will still have to say I have yet to see a shotgun which did not have somewhere close to that .005" of taper per inch of chamber length. This was established very early on as quite essential to aid the extraction & of course later the ejection of the empty hull.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.