May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (mark, Ken Nelson, dukxdog, KY Jon), 475 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,044
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#365058 04/27/14 05:57 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am currently looking at several (entry level) damascus guns which I would use as a BP shooter for pheasants and occasional sporties. I see there are two Baker's on the gun boards trade named 'New Era Gun Works'. My search suggests these were made in conjunction with the 1893 Chicago worlds fair. I would appreciate any of your thoughts on the this model as a BP shooter.
The alternate looks like it may be an Ithaca Flues. I appears the Flues line started in 1903 hence at least 10 years newer than the Baker New Era. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 'New Era Nitro Hammerless Sidelock' was a Batavia Leader with twist barrels sold by Shapleigh Hardware.

The 'New Era Gun Works New York Nitro Hammerless Boxlock'

was a tradename gun for a store named 'The Fair', that also offered Syracuse Arms Co. boxlocks with the same name.
Ad from "American Field" April 20, 1901 (I think courtesy of Researcher).

More tradename Bakers are here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17434920

ANY vintage gun must be assessed on its own merits, starting with the barrels. I am of the opinion that if the barrels are deemed 'safe' for black powder, they are safe for low pressure smokeless loads. You will note the ad states "fully guaranteed for nitro or black powders"

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did see the reference to Shapleigh Hardware on the Baker site but a different writer proposed the Worlds Fair connection. Your response ties it all together and was very helpful ..... Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I remember that that Hollenbeck shaped model first showed in 1895 advertising in Mont. Ward .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl is of course correct. The boxlock C Grade was made by Baker Gun & Forging on a Frank Hollenbeck design and the Henry Allender Aug. 12, 1884 patent. It was produced for Montgomery Ward in 1895, with Ward's name on the rib.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There appear to be quite a few Batavia Leaders out there. I've had two come through my hands recently. One just needed a good cleaning and a few touch-ups, and the other is racked awaiting restoration. The trick is finding one that is safe to shoot and has no serious stock issues, sometimes not easily done unless you get the gun into your hands.

The first one I referred to is digesting 6400psi smokeless powder shells with no problems, so you don't have to limit yourself to black powder. 6200psi AA Low-Noise, Low-Recoil shells work fine. For hunting larger birds, if you don't reload, you'll have to go the Polywad-RST-B&P route.

Flues are also very nice,light hunting guns. They were designed in the black powder era, they had problems when the smokeless powders changed in the 1920's, so Ithaca brought out the stronger NID. My main gun for smaller birds is a 16ga Flues, it's a joy to carry up and down hills when chasing grouse. I always shoot light, low brass loads even though it has fluid steel barrels. If you get one with damascus or twist barrels, the same guidelines for the Bakers apply.

Last edited by Ken61; 04/28/14 12:50 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.