May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Perry M. Kissam, KY Jon, Chantry, FlyChamps, Karl Graebner, MattH), 990 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,544
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
wknitro Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Question. Seen my Uncle's hammer 10ga double that he bought back in the 50's. He used it with modern factory 2 7/8 inch loads to about 1970 when one hammer spring failed. Looks like reblued fluid steel to me. If I remember right, top rib marked "W W Greener and Son works Birmingham". Barrel marked with crossed sceptres with crown on top and crown with double scriped B's (Birmingham proofs). 118 or 11.8 over 12m (both barrels) Not for Ball on left. some scroll engraving.
Serial Number 185**. Looking for date of manufacture and possibly replacement hammer spring.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That number would put it at 1877 when 1,500 guns were made by Greener that year. The Not For Ball stamp was used on choke bored barrels from 1875 to 1887. It will be proofed for black powder unless it shows later nitro proof marks. Lagopus.....

wknitro Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info. He bought it when he was a teenager and shot a lot of pheasant, duck, and geese with it despite an area of barrel dents about 2/3 the way up. Otherwise the barrels look good no pitting. But he had to fix the stock in high school wood shop when he fired both barrels at once. Learned not to do that again. He said duck hunting everyone knew when he shot because they could hear the barrels ring. A lot of factory nitro loads went thru it. Question, what fluid steel would have been used on this gun in 1877. He definitely proof tested it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels will be laminated steel not fluid steel which is similar to Damascus. Someone likely blued over the twist at some earlier time and it looks like steel.

wknitro Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank's Stallones. I have a few laminated, twist, and different types of Damascus. This Greener sure looks like fluid. It's just the way he bought it in the 50's. So if Greener wasn't using any fluid steel, who ever blued it, hid it good. When did Greener first offer fluid steel in their barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pictures of the proofmarks will tell a great story,
If you need assistance posting pictures, I will help.

Could be replacement or sleeved barrels??? Proof marks
will tell alot.

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 06/20/14 03:06 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

The possibility exists that he subject gun was fitted with Greener's weldless twist steel barrels that were subsequently reblued. The fourth edition of Greener's book ,"The Gun" published in 1888 states that Barrels of this type were being made and used on some shotguns. This type of barrels is uncommon! I have owned several and inspected many Greener guns over the past 50 years.Thus far I have only seen one example of a Greener gun with weldless twist barrels, in this case the gun was made in 1911.
I could not locate any reference to this type barrel in Graham Greener's excellent book, "The Greener Story!"

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Greener's Solid Weldless-Twist Barrel" with "figure similar to that of Wire Twist"
http://books.google.com/books?id=3HMCAAAAYAAJ&pg=P238&source

wknitro Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Skeettx, Roy, and Drew. Skeettx, thanks for the offer to post pic, but don't have any. Just saw the gun last night when visiting him. I remember him duck/goose hunting with it when I was a teenager, but didn't pay any atention to it back then. Don't think replacement barrel and it's not sleeved. The barrels are thin in the front 1/3 and I can see the dents on the inside of the barrels that where there when he bought it. He thought rust frosting, but he was seeing shadow from the dents. At least they didn't buff the name on barrel, engraving or locks. They look good. He thought fluid steel, but I'm now thinking laminated. The "Not for Ball" was a red flag for me, but didn't tell him, also no nitro proof. Not knowing anything about Greeners I thought around 1890, but didn't tell him. I was only off 13 years!! Need to look at it with the magnifier. At least we got it dated. Need to buy a barrel thickness gauge.
Thanks for your input Roy.
Drew, like reading your posts. I shoot twist and damascus guns with both black and smokeless reloads and my uncle shot one with factory nitro loads even thou they would have been lower pressure 10ga. He still has a few Rem. green paper 2 7/8 shells.
Always good to hear storys of people shooting old black powder proofed guns with nitro loads and the gun not knowing the difference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.