May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bret Adams, Jtplumb, canvasback, 1 invisible), 496 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,437
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan,

I don't know if it is camera angle, old eyes or real; but the pistol gripped stock appears to have some rounding applied to the trigger guard/magazine to blend in with the trimmer, IMHO, lines of the stock. Is this the case or is it just the flat on the straight stock gives the illusion? Could these be an example of an early and later version of Wolf's work or just the extremes of his style? Looks good, and I think that is a fine pair to draw to.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting Dan. Looks to me like they very likely came off the same workbench. Do you know of any complete stock jobs by Wolf?

John

DanLH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thaine,
Yes, he did thin the stock with the added PG, notice that he dressed into the stock bolt on that stock on both sides while the straight stock is close to issue.
John,
I don't know of any complete stocks by Wolf, I will have to ask Joe if there was a Wolf file.
MB,
I'll try to get a photo of the barrel channel filling but it may take a few days.
Dan

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thank you Dan. I have several butchered military stocks laying around and its interesting to see an old sporter utilizing a straight stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see enough stylistic similarities that if both stocks were not worked on by the same hands, then someone tried awfully hard to duplicate the work of another. To me the differences are likely only a matter of being done a number of years apart.

Did anyone notice the patch of wood directly behind the top tang of the pistol grip stock? I wonder if that was done to repair damage from improper inletting that caused a piece of wood to split off, or to repair a checkering mistake.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are looking at the line just ahead of the comb, then I believe what you are seeing is the forward end of the wood that was added to raise the height of the comb. A piece of wood was added to the top of the comb and terminates just forward of the comb nose.

John

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thaine,
I see what you are seeing, that the rear tang of the trigger guard has been shaped (rounded) a bit to better fit. However I would say that work is more the results of adding the wood for the pistol grip and then trying to shape it all back to smooth lines. Who ever did the work it was nicely done.

DanLH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fred will be on later to post a photo of the filling of the barrel channel on these two guns plus a Sedgley Mod 39. Top is issue stock, then Sedgley 39, then the straight grip Wolf and the bottom is my new rifle with PG added. This particular Sedgley is the same one that Brophy has shown on page 245, I bought it from him after he wrote the book.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here it is

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

??? Am I missing something here, I thought it was said there was similarity of the barrel channel treatment between the Wolf gun and the new one, I do not see this.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.