May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hammergun, 2 invisible), 257 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,368
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

No safe queen, but I see a sound gun that has been neglected, but not badly abused, and has a lot of potential. Many of the pins and screw heads look untouched and the few screw slots that are buggered aren't terrible. The wood isn't broken and the stock is uncut. Some pics make it look oil soaked and some not so much. I'd be delighted to find something like this from what I see so far. Definitely worth saving, and I don't think it will end up being a money pit. The sight beads are in a slightly different position, so hopefully that isn't an indication that a barrel has been shortened.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for everyone's help and information provided so far. I disagree that this gun is far from gone, especially one this rare and unique. Yes it's worn and has been used as it was made to do. Will it look like it did when it left the factory? No. But I have seen others in much worse shape than this brought back to life to be enjoyed again as it was built to do. I have no doubt that this gun can be and will be more than worth the cost to give it life again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW: this may be what is left after barrel finishing of the fused 'JP' of J. Pire & Cie, a large munitions firm established in Liege in 1885, or rough forged tube maker Jules Pirard-Ancion or Jacques Pirotte & Fils.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that this gun can be saved and is well worth saving. Here's some excellent advice from the original Thread on this Remington:

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
At one time that was a very, very nice gun. Now it is a gun needing careful consideration of what to do to, or with it. Either selective restoration, full restoration or just leave as it is. There are only a select few up to that level of restoration work.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of gunsmiths out there who could make this gun worse. Careful consideration is needed. I hope you'll keep us posted.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If this was asked I missed it. What is the internal condition of the barrels?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
I guess I see the potential....if it was mine it would get a sympathetic restoration. A trip through the ultra-sonic cleaner first, some gentle cleaning of both wood and metal and then decide. It really does not look that bad to me. I take them in to the shop in far worse condition fairly often. That gun might end up looking pretty nice with a bit of elbow grease. The only thing that looks to have deep corrosion is the heel plate.
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm in the process of trying to get the pictures of the inside of the barrels. I will have Canvasback post them when I get them

Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys are a lot more optimistic about this gun than I am.

The wood is badly shrunken away from the metal everywhere, or perhaps sanded away in an old refinish. Proud metal is bad news.

The checkering would require a magician to bring back. The gap where the forend iron meets the receiver suggests a lot of bad wear, near ramshackle.

I don't know how you fix all that, but some things aren't fixable. If the bores are cratered, well...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the wood is fine for the most part, maybe cracked internally at the head but not beneath the metal in the vast majority of places. I would first clean that checkering and most likely leave it alone. The stock the same, you would be shocked what a good cleaning can reveal. The fore end gap could be caused by several things but the most likely scenario is that the lugged popped loose and was not set in the proper place, an easy fix. If it is wear that is an easy repair as well. The bores are a different matter, there is only so much that can be cleaned up in regards to pitting. These old American doubles often had thick walls and that sure does help. I would not attempt to make this gun look new, just clean it up a bit.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice old Remington. Thank goodness I don't own it!...Geo

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.