May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (MattH, Borderbill, Ken Nelson, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,034
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just received a complimentary issue from Under Wild Skies that features a SD&G drilling nearly identical to this that featured the folding rear sight.

Best Regards,
Larry
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe someone would post the DGJ issue that included the Jeff Stephens serial number chart.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JRH,

There are an even dozen Daly drillings captured in the Daly/Lindner database. These dozen encompass both hammer and hammerless varieties in mulitple calibers and gauges The lowest serial number recorded thus far is in the 29,000 range, and the highest is just north of 167,000.

I have be honest that I have not done much noodling to determine see how these Sauer-made Dalys match up to the Sauer serial number guide Jeff put together. My first instinct is that the range is far too broad to be purely sequential and there seemed to be some inconsistencies with serial numbers and features noted on the gun that would help date them - i.e, the guns do not appear to be in a simple sequential order. (But hey, these are Dalys - the serial numbering sequence is supposed to be a mess! :-)

I'm on travel and away from my catalogs and other research material, but I'll do some digging and check the Sauer serial number and see if, or what portion, of the Daly drilling serail numbers appear to jive with the Sauer numbers.

Best,
Ken

JRH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey Guys,

While I have been working on a number of project guns this spring I am still focused on learning more about this gun, and ultimately determining whether I can safely shoot it, and with what ammo.

Along those lines I have started off by determining the rifle caliber possibilities given that I know three things as fact 1). Presumably this gun is a 38-55. 2) This model was known to be made in the following calibers with 12 ga barrels,( 30-30 (.30 caliber bullet), 32WCF (.312 caliber bullet) and 38-55 (.375 caliber bullet) and 38 WCF (.401 caliber bullet)), and 3) The chamber was cast by a gunsmith that stated it was a .375-.400 caliber.

Based on these facts, and given the specifics of chamber lengths, caliber, and cartridge shape, I can safely state that, out the cartridges known to have been chambered for these guns, the 38-55 is in fact the only cartridge that could fit this this guns specific chamber/barrel lengths and shapes.

Now that I believe that I have the rifle chamber issue solved. I am interested in determining two additional important points.

1). Can anyone tell me the original chamber lengths for these guns?

2). Obviously, before I shoot anything from this gun I am going to have it inspected by a gunsmith. My question is, can anyone recommend a competent gunsmith, (preferably one that is familiar with these guns and located in the northeast). Finally, what should I expect to pay for an inspection.

Once again I thank everyone for any responses in advance.

JRH

Here are some more recent pics taken after the I cleaned up the gun a bit...

Last edited by JRH; 06/09/07 05:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

JRH before you go and assume that it is a 38-55, please have someone do a chamber cast that can tell you exactly what it is. Its your body parts but I'd never shoot a rifle on a calculated guess as to the caliber. I have the same problem at the moment. I believe mine is a .450 3 1/4". But I need to get a better chamber cast to make sure.

JRH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Harrell
JRH before you go and assume that it is a 38-55, please have someone do a chamber cast that can tell you exactly what it is. Its your body parts but I'd never shoot a rifle on a calculated guess as to the caliber. I have the same problem at the moment. I believe mine is a .450 3 1/4". But I need to get a better chamber cast to make sure.

Thanks Mike,

As you can see I clearly stated above....1)The chamber was already cast once, and proven to be .375 or slightly larger 2)"before I shoot anything from this gun I am going to have it inspected by a gunsmith"

Originally Posted By: JRH
..... The chamber was cast by a gunsmith that stated it was a .375-.400 caliber.........2). Obviously, before I shoot anything from this gun I am going to have it inspected by a gunsmith. My question is, can anyone recommend a competent gunsmith, (preferably one that is familiar with these guns and located in the northeast). Finally, what should I expect to pay for an inspection.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't be offended but there is a lot of cartridges that fit the .375 to .400 range. You are most likely correct in believing that it is a 38-55. I just didn't want you to bet your fingers on it. Good luck.

JRH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As an aside...

For anyone that might be interested in purchasing one of these guns...I see that this auction house will be offering two oCharles Daly/J.P. Sauer drillings in the 12ga x 38-55 combination on their next auction date. (note: I have no affiliations with this auction.)

http://www.switzersauction.com/index.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

JRH,

Very nice drilling.

Doing a CHAMBER cast is very easy if you want to do one yourself. Order some Cerrosafe from Brownells and follow the instructions.

It does not sound like the gunsmith did a CAST it sounds like he SLUGGED the bore. I am surprised that he gave you such a broad range of bore diameter. Once slugged (also very easy to do yourself) you can measure the slug with calipers and usually tell exactly what the bore diameter is to thousandths of an inch.

Bore diameter is NOT the right way to determine the caliber the gun is CHAMBERED for. My double rifle is an Austrian .450x3 1/4" BPE. When I slugged the barrel I found it was .452" instead of the nominal .458 for most of these rifles. In my case the bore being undersized was a good thing as it allows me to use lead bullets sold just about everywhere for the Casull and Colt pistols.

I wrote the above to show that you need to do some more research/investigation before you attempt to shoot the rifle barrel. Don't take this wrong, I don't want to see your fingers separated from your hand.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW, any drilling with 12ga barrels is better IMO. More marketability if you need to sell it and MANY more loads available. Also if the proofs and gunsmith examination show that you need to stick to low pressure loads in the shot barrels you will find much more low pressure data available if you handload.

Mike
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.