May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mike Harrell, GETTEMANS, Jtplumb), 169 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts545,993
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you everyone

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an L C Smith 12 gauge Grade III non ejector, double trigger, 32 inch Damascus barrels that's pictured elsewhere on the forum. I just completed having a minimal cosmetic and structural restoration done to it. If I were to sell it I would be looking in the $2,000 range.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunsaholic and I watch the competitive pricing reasonably closely. There is a gigantic discount attached to a gun located in Canada compared to what it may fetch in the US. Disclaimer here....I am in no way interested in this gun or any other L C Smith.

Having bought US guns and brought them up and sold into the US and watched the comparative market over the last 10 years, I would take the US estimate (we heard a range of $2000 USD from James M to a high of $3500 USD) and discount it by an absolute minimum of 30%. Especially as this is a 10 gauge. There is a tiny group of buyers who might be interested in that gun. I'm always happily willing to be proven wrong but in Canada I think that gun would sell in the $1000 to $1500 range (I'm keeping valuations in constant USD for simplicity).

We have less of a gun culture, less of a gun collecting culture, less disposable income and less than 10% of the population. You do the math.

Gunsaholic and I see this all the time. Someone checks out the Blue Book valuations or asks on this or any other site and then tries to sell the gun in the price range suggested by the American sources. Does not happen. And again, full disclosure....I have never even tried to buy one of the guns I am referring to. Canadians won't pay the money.

Last edited by canvasback; 08/22/16 05:42 PM. Reason: really bad spelling

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Camotrky, if you want to sell it, my advice would be to sell it into the US market. Getting them down there isn't all that difficult if you know what to do and for the potential difference in monies realized, might be worth it. PM me if you want to know more.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Conservatively, i would call it a $1700 to $2,000 gun USD.

Last edited by B. Dudley; 08/23/16 07:27 AM.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yours is a great example of a Grade 2 Smith 10-bore; but its value rests solely on demand in Canada (am assuming it might not be legal to sell to someone in the US). With 10-bores the pool of interested individuals is very limited, just as it was when the gun was originally built; and that same limited interest factor remains true today. The fact that only 444 are recorded as having ever been shipped doesn't make your gun rare, only uncommon; but it's remaining condition does serve to make yours a more rare piece among surviving examples. As FYI, Puglisi has a Grade 3 10-bore Smith in even higher condition listed on his website at $3250. Given that gun has not sold after several months, I would think $3K would be over the top for your gun. To the right collector I see your gun selling in the $1800-2500 range, but you can always advertise the gun at any price you peg and see what develops; as there are, after all, no end of dealers who place "just fishing" prices on the guns they offer for sale; and they do so because they do get a fair number of bites.
As for me personally, I'm only interested in unique 10-bores; and purchased an interesting Smith 10-bore about a year ago that would be considered a one-off. At some point after Hunter eliminated their bushed firing pin feature, someone sent a 32" set of Quality 2 Syracuse era Smith barrels to Hunter Arms with instructions to build a gun around this barrel set. Hunter took those barrels and fitted them to a new frame; a new fore iron was fitted, along with all new stock wood. The serial number assigned to, and stamped on the Syracuse era barrel set was stamped onto the new frame; and the Quality 2 grade mark on the barrels was over-stamped with the newly assigned Grade designation "O". The new frame was also grade stamped "0"; and the gun was engraved and checkered Grade "0" standard. The dealer didn't understand what this gun represented, a repair shop gun; and listed it for sale at $1295 (gun still has lots of condition). The gun did not sell at that price; and over a period of about two years he had reduced his asking to $695, a price at which I became a willing buyer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey James aka canvasback; You need to clean out your messaging area as it's full.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Canvasback on the pricing in Canada. Unfortunately, I think anything above $1500.00 and I would consider myself fortunate.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.