May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toby Barclay, David Williamson), 324 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,516
Posts545,687
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't think there's a better place on the web to ask this question,

But, "How many shoots where your total cost of attendance from beginning to end exceeds $500.00, do you attend?"

I am willing to attend 3. 1 spring, 1 summer, and 1 early fall.
I don't see myself attending a winter shoot, nor more than 3 (of this type) during the other seasons, all well spaced due to logistics.

When I add in the other fundraisers, and regional "Pop in for a steak" shoots, I max out at a total annual number of a dozen or so.

This is just a marketing type question to spur some conversation.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good question. We try to attend between four and six, supplemented by visits to local courses in the tri- state NY area. Some like the Parker fun shoot in April at Addieville are day, albeit long, trips, others like Haussmann's are two- three day affairs. We hope to make Rock Mountain in September an annual affair, like Hiddden Hollow, bookending the summer, preceded and followed by local day trips. Cost is always a factor but quality or fun is too, and we no longer go to events that are less fun. For us getting off Long Island is the most difficult task, as is returning, and we often bypass NYC and take the ferry from CT.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hadn't thought about regional cost differences. Getting a hotdog in Manhattan could go over $500.00 smile LOL

I just wonder if stacking shoots weekend after weekend undermines interest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The southern in April, the North East and Great Northern in June and Duluth in July. Would like to attend some of the September shoots but my dogs won't let me!!! Also do some of the bigger shows around the country.

Sidelock
Sidelock

None for clays. whether open as to shotgun choices, or limited to side-by-sides. That $500 buys me three tower released shoots at our area pheasant club, held on Saturdays from Jan through April-- 10 stations around FULL CIRCLE, GOOD SAFE TOWER FOR THE guys who get the roosters and hens airborne, great dog work, lunch and a fine pick-up hunt apres lunch. No booze, safety rules and zones of fire strictly enforced, and all guns must be open and unloaded between stand and en route to and from the clubhouse to the shooting field. You are guaranteed birds, picked and bagged in Zip-Lok bags to take home, and pen raised pheasants sure taste better than those skeets do-- And way cheaper that a 4 day trip in Nov. to SD--

I get my off-season practice on barn pigeons and crows and starlings- clays are great, and SC is a social game like golf- but no clay thrown by a machine can replicate the flight of a blue rock pigeon who has just side-slipped away from a charge of No. 8 chilled- IMO anyway.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here in the lower part of Michigan you can attend three shoots, April, May [ mine at Lapeer ], and June, that are one day shoots for less than $500 total. Each are in the $50 entry price range and they include shooting and food. Don't get no better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF; That sounds like a heck of a deal!

R.

Eis Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well for me and my shooting partner (Rich) we go to the Southern to see old friends and the vendors and then have a fun shoot at Drakes Landing Thursday all day, Friday and Saturday morning and then back to Deep River, Haussmann's and the Great Northern (this is a not to miss shoot) in June and then we are thinking Rock Mt in the fall. Locale shoots maybe a half a dozen or so, but those are all fun shoots, one day shoots

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dozens and dozens ..... and they pay me! cool

Until recently I was picking up on an average of 60 days per season and getting the equivalent of $55 per day. Now I'm just doing some beating (no dog) so the pay is less.There was a time when I was buying 7-9 days per annum driven or walk / stand days.

I can't add in the pigeon shooting because CZs formula doesn't allow cost neutral days, but that was around 35 days afield per annum. I could exchange 11 pigeon for 25 Express cartridges, so that was a fair deal.

Eug

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You and I are so lucky Eugene!

People that don't go to shooting facilities to shoot, really shouldn't bother to respond.

I'm more curious about someone that goes to clay shoots as an entertainment/shooting event and spends more than $500.00.

I like to shoot, so, I shoot regularly. I know many collectors do not, and people essentially age out of this venue. $500.00 is a good hurdle rate for the discussion.

I heard that by comparing email lists, it was found that there are actually less than 100 traveling SxS aficionados nationwide. That means that competing extravagant shoots are pitching to the same people week after week for relatively little to be gained.

That list doesn't include whatever dependable regional pool a club draws from. They aren't above the hurdle rate for costs to attend. My club is very comfortable running a good shoot that serves 65 people or so on 1 day every spring, and people seem to look forward to it as a kind of season launch.
But again, mostly locals/regionals attend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.