May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (CJ Dawe), 1,133 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

In Re: the subject of possible legal problems arising from using a photo of a gun that was harvested from the internet without permission or attribution...

There are literally dozens of Internet Firearms Forums featuring everything under the sun, from Marlin's to Weatherby's to Colt's to Smith & Wesson's. There are Full-Auto Forums and Reloading Forums. There are Gunsmithing forums and Flintlock Rifle forums.

Can anyone show us where someone has gone to the time and expense of actually suing someone for using a picture of a gun without permission? And can anyone show us where such litigation resulted in damages being paid by the person who posted those images?

It seems that the greatest risk in posting pictures of guns is that it could end up being a waste of time when image hosts like Photobucket make them unavailable unless you pay a ransom fee.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Steve,

I own said gun and and took said picture. Please PM me with your email and I will happily correspond with you and provide pictures of the Pieper barrels and entire gun.

I did post some limited pictures several years ago but thought I deleted all public copies; not that I have a particular issue with them being used but was being contacted unsolicited.

As mentioned, the gun was bought by me for a meager sum with the plans that I might restore it myself and with no idea about the barrels (actually bought through an online auction). It was clear that gun had some nice engraving and some beautiful wood under years and years of abuse and I thought it could be a fun project.

I would not say that the barrels had been blued so much as "browned" from years of rust and cleaning, rust, cleaning, etc. I owned the gun for about 1 year before I even realized the significance of the barrel.

I happened to be in Buck Hamlin's shop when we realized the damascus was patterned with wording and thus I decided to leave it with him for restoration which he did complete for me. The gun in totality was a beautiful as I expected.

My detailed research has only ever found one other Pieper with similar damascus and that was written up in the DGJ. That is not to say there is not others, I've just never found any proof of others.

Again, I'm happy to provide pictures and allowance for you to use in a book, please just contact me via PM and we will work out the details.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

keith, a quick search disclosed a handful of suits for photographic copyright infringement. The CBS matter looks like an expensive legal food fight and I bet the Plaintiff wishes he'd looked the other way. You can win on principle and spend a fortune or you can lose on principle and spend a fortune. Not a mess I would want to climb into. I think Steve did the right thing and ASavageFox was a good sport about it. Nothing like having peace of mind.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=ph...p;hsimp=yhs-001

As far as photobucket "ransomware", do a search for "photobucket fix Chrome" and "photobucket fix FireFox" If you use either browser, it will unlock the "ransomed" photos without costing a dime. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew is a good man.

I'm glad he got in touch with you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good result and a great story about the original gun too, I get excited when there's a pattern visible in blacked barrels but never had anywhere near as good luck as that.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
Again, I'm happy to provide pictures and allowance for you to use in a book, please just contact me via PM and we will work out the details.

Thanks so much Andrew!! That's a great story about the gun! PM sent.

I'm still working on permissions for a couple other photos.

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.