May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (dukxdog), 391 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,763
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#508118 03/12/18 11:26 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Has anyone who owns a Dickinson 20 gauge Estate bothered to measure the screw in chokes.
According to their website the bore diameter of their 20 gauge is .617" and here is what my chokes measure out to.
Full.601"
IM .606"
M .611"
IC .621"
C .630"
What the #%@&k were they thinking ! mad

Last edited by sidelock 16; 03/12/18 11:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well now I guess I'll have to measure mine.
But I will add, I am perfectly happy with how mine shoots.

TM

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have toyed with the idea of getting a 410 in this gun. After reading some of the post here I may be reconsidering. But it seems that the guys that have them love them.
Would also like to hear opinions on these guns.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you verified that the bores are indeed .617"? I wouldn't have gone to the effort to measure the tubes and not measured the bores at the same time. Without that information the other measurements mean nothing. They may well be what the website says, but not necessarily so.

Mine is a wonderful little .410, but I wanted fixed chokes in it, and that's what I bought.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Measuring the tubes with calipers was not an effort whatsoever and if i had the proper tool to measure the bore i would have done so but I don't and there are no gunsmiths in my area.
I realize knowing the bore diameter is crucial but why would they provide an incorrect measurement on their website ? The bore would have to be .630" for the choke tubes to make any sense and that's at the extreme range by any manufacturer's standard
Mine "looks" wonderful too but it also has other issues not to mention the horrible trigger pulls but I'd rather not publicize until my dealer resolves them !

Last edited by sidelock 16; 03/13/18 09:13 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My little Estate .410/28 combo has been a very good gun for the money. They had to fix the triggers (on their dime), but the fix has held up very well. The .410 tubes are fixed choke, but the 28s are so-equipped and they are a bit off (by my measurements). Don't have those numbers handy but if I remember correctly, cylinder was a negative 0.02 thou. Also, changing the tubes can be a dicey proposition after a while (uses a "friction-fit" tool system) so either lube them up heavily upon installation, or make good choices up-front.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/13/18 09:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I totally forgot to measure mine.

I have a 20 gauge with 28" barrels, and a straight stock, and splinter forearm.

As far as how it handles I love mine, I love the way it looks, but that doesn't make a shotgun now does it, it handles just as a good double should, it finds the pocket of my should effortlessly, and it hits where I point it!

I had the presence of mind to check the triggers before I bought it, they are as light as I want them, better than my Beretta.

Everything works!

TM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you patterned them to see if the pattern % are correct to the tube markings?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark II
Have you patterned them to see if the pattern % are correct to the tube markings?

That is, of course, the proof of the pudding. However, if the bores are indeed what the website claims, I can see no way a tube with an I.D. that is .004" larger than the bore is going to throw an IC pattern. The F, IM and M tubes might pattern close to what they should, but not the IC.

That said, I wouldn't get upset too quickly. If I liked the gun I would pattern all the tubes, see what looks to be the most useful, and stick with them. Screw in chokes are way overrated anyway, IMO.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, it can Stan.

The effective constriction of a screw in choke is very much affected by the length of the choke 'throat'.

It acts as a jug section, and depending on it's length and diameter can essentially redefine the barrel ID.

'Cylinder' screw in chokes generally do not throw a true cylinder pattern, and 'most' screw in chokes throw tighter than marked.

One exception I've seen to that rule is Krieghoff, where the choke leade returns to barrel I.D. in a very short distance. At least it does in my K-20.

If that 'IC' has a measurable section at .630 in front of it, it could very well print IC.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.