Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#623354 12/10/22 04:38 PM
randy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am using a MEC 600 Jr loading Cheddite hulls in 16 ga. My six point crimps are completely closed, but have no depth. What adjustment can I make to get about a dimes width of depth in my crimp? I have not figured out how to load images.

The load is 1 ounce using a ballistic products commander sporting wad.
Thanks!
Randy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Been a while since I adjusted mine, but I think you just tighten the set screw on the crimp finishing die. Go slow and check it each time till you get what you want then lock it in with the lock washer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bsteele
Been a while since I adjusted mine, but I think you just tighten the set screw on the crimp finishing die. Go slow and check it each time till you get what you want then lock it in with the lock washer.

Right. Fairly simple. Loosen the nut under the plate on the final crimp station. Then tighten the screw a turn or two. Shouldn't need a lot. Retighten the nut and check. You may need to play with it a bit to get the crimp depth you want.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can find the manual on google, full text and pictures.

randy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have the manual. My issue is not addressed. Adjusting the final crimped did not do it, it pushed the crimp in and left a large hole. I adjusted the 6 point crimp starter to have the flaps long enough- they touch in the middle and shot cannot escape. I am not sure if adjusting the cam will accomplish the objective. I think these new primed hulls may be longer than previous lots, maybe a card spacer?

Last edited by randy; 12/10/22 08:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had this issue as well. I found that using an overshot card added enough height to get a proper crimp. If adjusting the final crimp down a bit causes the crimp to, basically, go down into the shell the load is allowing to much space above the it to get a proper crimp. I have also switched to a heavier load (shot wise) and wads that a a bit taller.

Just my experience....

WBLDon

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you need the thickness of an overshot wad to get the crimp right wouldn't it be better, pattern-wise, to put it under the shot charge and not over?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the crimp is completely closed (no hole in center), why do you want any depth?

randy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You want the depth in the crimp to keep the crimp from opening. You want the spacer at bottom of the wad if you do not want to open the pattern, or at the top as a spreader

Last edited by randy; 12/11/22 01:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is another possibility
Originally Posted by randy
I have the manual. My issue is not addressed. Adjusting the final crimped did not do it, it pushed the crimp in and left a large hole. I adjusted the 6 point crimp starter to have the flaps long enough- they touch in the middle and shot cannot escape. I am not sure if adjusting the cam will accomplish the objective. I think these new primed hulls may be longer than previous lots, maybe a card spacer?

You may be on the right track. You do sometimes need to tinker with the cam to deal with a hole in the center of the crimp. Straight from Mec: "Opening in center of shell. Correct by loosening the cam adjustment screw and moving cam down about 1/32 of an inch and try again."

Also compare the hulls you're using now to those you used previously. Hull length may be a contributing issue.

Last edited by L. Brown; 12/11/22 07:08 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.