April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tom Shaffer, Argo44, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,058 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi All,
The Honker thread has me curious. I was told by someone that I shouldn't throw complete sidelocks into a hyrosonic cleaner as it can mess up the leaf springs.
Has anyone experienced leaf springs breaking or any other issues after using a hydrosonic cleaner?
Having springs made is something I would really like to avoid, on the other hand disassembling and then reassembling locks isn't real high on my list either.
Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never had any problems but have only done a few to a dozen guns. I do not use a cleaner that is abrasive at all. As to leaf springs breaking, they work until they fail, which is to say there is no warning and no set number of cycles that they will endure. I use them and not worry about them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ultrasonic cleaning. No, I highly doubt a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner could fatigue a spring and break it.

In regards to disassembly before cleaning. I always fully disassemble the locks, action, etc before putting all the bits into the ultrasonic. Everything including the ejector work gets completely torn down. I do this because if there’s any corrosion whatsoever on the parts, the ultrasonic will clean that out and the parts will come out spotted and blotchy at times. You should polish the bits until the blotchiness is gone and it all matches up as polished steel. Lube and then reassemble.

Another note…..not all ultrasonics are equal. There’s things called ultrasonic cleaners and there’s real ultrasonic cleaners. It’s all in the power of the transducers. The cheap ones just don’t cut it in my experience.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never heard that ultrasonic cleaning could damage a leaf or coil spring, and I can't imagine any reason that it would.

However, some people utilize a cleaning method called electrolysis to remove rust from gun parts. It works quite well to remove rust, and some guys swear by it. But electrolysis uses a DC electric current which causes the water in the solution to break down into oxygen and hydrogen. Because of this, it can and does impart hydrogen atoms into the molecular lattice of the steel, and causes a condition known as hydrogen embrittlement. This can cause parts like springs to crack under otherwise normal loading.

The greatest factor in eventual failure of leaf (or coil) springs is micro-pitting caused by rust, assuming the springs were made, polished, hardened, and tempered correctly. It really has little to do with how old a spring is or how many times it has been flexed. These tiny pits create stress risers that are points where cracking and fractures are initiated.

And that reminds me... it's time to spray the torsion springs on my overhead garage doors with a rust inhibitor.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My limited experiences with the new ultrasonic cleaner has unveiled no problems at all with leaf springs. Question: how does the ultrasonic cleaner know if the spring is coil or leaf, before it "attacks" it?

I don't throw mine in. I lay them in, gently. wink

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Gents, small sample size but I will go ahead and try. I seem to have accumulated a large hoard of Pieper/Bayard hammerguns and have found they are mostly interchangeable on the lock parts if same design. After paying to have a spring made, I found it can be cheaper to buy a basket case gun - sort of like cars and motorcycles. Easier to swap out an entire lock than to harvest a spring but they are often filthy.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.