May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,139 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I think that’s how it’s going to be.
Plenty of estates have already adopted non lead cartridges. Plenty of evidence being sold off game carts.
Looks like they work just fine.
Not sure what the consensus is on high birds.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by MattH
So what is the alloy they are using in Bioammo Blue? I haven't seen it explicitly stated anywhere.

I was curious about this myself, so I did a little digging to see what I could learn. The best information I was able to find in one source was this article:

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/ammunition/non-toxic-ammunition

Straight away, we see that Bioammo Blue shot is 25% less dense than lead. While softer than steel and a little less brittle than bismuth, it is still quite a bit harder and more brittle than lead. They are launching it at pretty high velocity to attempt to make up for it's ballistic shortcomings. I didn't find any reference to chamber pressure produced, so I'd assume it is near C.I.P. maximum until I knew for sure.

It was nice this review gave some pattern plate results. Thus far, I have had no use or need for non-lead ammo because I am not a waterfowl hunter. So as far as I'm concerned, this stuff is just another more costly and less effective product than lead.

If I pull into a Gas Station, and they are selling a new fuel that promises poorer performance, 25% less mileage, and costs considerably more, I'm moving my truck to a pump dispensing plain old gasoline. But that's just me.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: greener4me
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I agree that non-toxic, non-lead, whatever you want to call it is the future, it should be implemented voluntarily and gradual, not mandated by some city elected official who knows nothing about conservation and wildlife management, and wouldn't know which end of the barrels to put a cartridge in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
Yes, I think that’s how it’s going to be.
Plenty of estates have already adopted non lead cartridges. Plenty of evidence being sold off game carts.
Looks like they work just fine.
Not sure what the consensus is on high birds.
I don't know if the next generation of sxs, vintage gun shooters care about, or can even imagine this type of shooting. Strip away the unobtanium shoots for most, is there a solution to getting the new shooter over the ammo sticker shock, or is that a strategy for pushing new shooters out of the game.

2 members like this: Imperdix, keith
Sidelock
Sidelock

We are seeing `death by a thousand cuts` being administered to shooting by organisations which have been stealthily infiltrated by anti shooting people over many years.
Each little victory that they achieve gives opportunity for further curtailment of the pastime and the countryside that we and many before have enjoyed .

4 members like this: greener4me, Ted Schefelbein, OldMaineWoodsman, keith
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot a lot.
At multiple ranges across Mi.

It looks to me like the young have moved to waterfowling from the uplands.
They have never shot much lead.
I regularly hear of younger guns buying cases of steel, and splitting the case.

When visiting a clays ground in a metro area, if you see a younger person, they are of means typically.

So, I’m thinking that the soaring cost of participation has reduced younger participation in the clay sports in this region.

It may not be that way everywhere.

For reference, a non member line of skeet (25 targets) is $5.00, and a box of 20 gauge skeet loads is $10.99 around here.
So, $16.00/line.
That is a 300% increase over 15 years.

Weighing enjoyment/$, there are all kinds of alternatives available.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The science behind lead toxicity still escapes me. It all boils down to bioavailabilty, and "lead shot" (or even lead bullets) isn't a problem for anybody except a few eagles that were eating wounded geese back east. That's the wedge issue that started us done this ridiculous road, but no matter. New Federal rules are coming that will further restrict the use of lead as projectiles. Plan accordingly.

Stan: what non-toxic alternative are you referring to?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/18/23 12:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bismuth, occasional KTM if you have some or happen upon it.
Pretty rare to see the light loads in either of those on the shelf anymore.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
"lead shot" (or even lead bullets) isn't a problem for anybody except a few eagles that were eating wounded geese back east.

So you're okay with poisoning thousands of eagles, vultures, condors because you are inconvenienced by nontoxic shot? But you're even wrong about that - the lead ban was instituted because enormous numbers of waterfowl were dying after picking up lead shot from the bottom of ponds as grit in their gizzards. USFWS spend years doing endless studies on that mortality and the decision to ban lead was taken very reluctantly in the face of overwhelming evidence. Of course, there are those among us who label any data we don't like as 'junk science' if it suggests that we need to change old habits or tolerate an inconvenience merely to prevent needless wildlife death and promote conservation. Yes, steel shot causes more crippling but even that has improved greatly since it was introduced. I would much prefer to use lead rather than expensive bismuth in my old guns but not at the cost of causing great waterfowl mortality from starvation after ingested lead prevents them from digesting food. But that's just me.

2 members like this: Kip, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Only 5 months since our last good lead blow up!
Maybe we could read through here and see if there is something new to say...and if not...don't
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=627061

Or not. They all get locked eventually.

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.