May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Chantry, Researcher, Jtplumb, KDGJ, Karl Graebner, cable), 446 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those "scientists" want us to believe that, because of the density of lead, it continually works it's way down into the bottom, regardless the soil type, to a depth that makes it eventually inaccessible to feeding waterfowl.

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
The science sucks. Always has.

Amen.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, keith
Sidelock
Sidelock

More selective outrage and corrupted science...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Arghhh. I tried.
Here's some low-lights of the linked previous thread, which discusses the issue of where lead goes when deposited in water
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=627061&page=6

1. There is bad science...falsified "science" (which always gets exposed eventually)...and good science
2. Good science withstands critical review and repetition of studies over time
3. IMHO is it highly inappropriate, when we don't like a study, to declare that the researchers are corrupt and compromised. Concern about lead toxicity started in the 60s and was driven by professional wildlife biologists. The professionals I met in Kansas and Missouri were, IMHO, sincerely driven by the best science available (which we all understand changes over time) and, despite resistance from governmental, commercial, "greens", and private landowner interests, obviously with other agendas, tried to do what was best for fish & game, and IMHO were certainly NOT anti-hunting. In retrospect, certainly decisions made by "the management" often turned out to be mistakes.
4. Those of us who have been in academia understand:
a. Your future advancement depends on publishing
b. Your future advancement depends on receiving grants
c. Unless in the sound chamber of woke liberal arts, where your future advancement is in not rocking the boat with reality orientation, much of what you do is prove that other researchers were wrong.
5. So if we don't like a study, please critically analyze the study. Don't impugn the integrity of the professional wildlife biologists and researchers. If they are crooked, or wrong, it will eventually be exposed.

Cue the personal attacks, obligatory rant and locking the thread smile I'm sure Fauci and the evil FDA - AMA - Big Pharma triad can be worked in somehow wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
....Cue the personal attacks, obligatory rant and locking the thread smile I'm sure Fauci and the evil FDA - AMA - Big Pharma triad can be worked in somehow wink
Aargh, such a corrupt and compromised comment, lol?

You touch on a point, then ignored it. Where do grants come from, and who do they go to. I believe it is important to note that most grants of this sort have political awarding policies, and are sought by gov agency political appointees, and academia administrators of a political bent.

I believe you have to address, due to your certainties, the conclusions and policies that result from your "good science" standards. Specifically, why do restrictions, penalties, and progressive goals not follow the science? Are the crooked and wrong eventually exposed, in the context of recreational shooters and sport hunters being outstanding financers and stewards of the environment and wildlife habitat?

Maybe address, why can't critical analysis impugn the integrity of professional wildlife biologists and researchers. I've seen a few of these team leaders, posted in some of the most beautiful and semiremote hunting areas in the US, with their sole career goal to tic of an assignment box, to get back to the DC area. I know it will never happen, but I've always openly wondered why our opening position is to oppose and demonize friends, instead of work with them. We all recognize, understand and use notox shot as we are forced to, maybe work on forcing the science to matter.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by LGF
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
"lead shot" (or even lead bullets) isn't a problem for anybody except a few eagles that were eating wounded geese back east.

So you're okay with poisoning thousands of eagles, vultures, condors because you are inconvenienced by nontoxic shot? But you're even wrong about that - the lead ban was instituted because enormous numbers of waterfowl were dying after picking up lead shot from the bottom of ponds as grit in their gizzards. USFWS spend years doing endless studies on that mortality and the decision to ban lead was taken very reluctantly in the face of overwhelming evidence. Of course, there are those among us who label any data we don't like as 'junk science' if it suggests that we need to change old habits or tolerate an inconvenience merely to prevent needless wildlife death and promote conservation. Yes, steel shot causes more crippling but even that has improved greatly since it was introduced. I would much prefer to use lead rather than expensive bismuth in my old guns but not at the cost of causing great waterfowl mortality from starvation after ingested lead prevents them from digesting food. But that's just me.

Did the lead that was deposited in those ponds over the last 125 years or so suddenly vanish when non-toxic shot was mandated? Or, do waterfowl not pick up that lead shot anymore?

Inquiring minds want to know.

The science sucks. Always has.

Best,
Ted

Absolutely the "science" suks. And not a single administration in the last 50 years has questioned it and set the record straight. No politician actually does anything more than pay lip service to the shooters to scam their vote.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by OldMaineWoodsman
Poisoning thousands of eagles?

https://www.treehugger.com/bald-eagles-no-longer-endangered-5070353

As we all know, lead shot has been banned for waterfowl hunting since the early 1990's. Eagles, Hawks, Owls, and Ospreys are thriving. In fact, eagles are killing each other due to the number of them. Growing up in the 1960's-70's an eagle sighting was a rarity. Now they are a fairly common sighting.

While I feel that the days of lead are numbered, I don't agree with some of the arguments. My feeling has always been that loss of habitat and wetlands, human encroachment, and unchecked predation do far more damage to waterfowl and game populations than lead shot.

Mandated lead shot bans, like we are seeing on some of our Federal Wildlife Refuges/Areas are just political backdoor ways to curtail hunting, price people out of it, or make you find other activities. Hunters have always been the true conservationists. An eventual transition to non-toxic shot/projectiles should be voluntary and gradual, never mandated.

Eagles are beyond common.

Until convinced otherwise, I’ll maintain that their recovery had NOTHING to do with a lead shot ban, but, tracks very closely with the banning of DDT. Which, should NOT have been banned to the extent it was. It is a very useful pesticide, and, has limited applications where there is certainly nothing better.

You guys all miss the point, every time this comes up. The end goal IS NOT that you will no longer have lead shot, or, bullets. It is that you will no longer be able to hunt, and at that point, will have no reason to own a firearm.

The powers that be are on a longer schedule than you in this endeavor. They are after your children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. You, don’t matter.

Best,
Ted

9 members like this: canvasback, greener4me, mc, keith, Geo. Newbern, OldMaineWoodsman
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

To me its a lot like the ethics of handicapping in sports. The market hunters killed enough waterfowl and other birds to allow many rules to take effect. They got handicapped by bag limits, season lengths, and restrictions on equipment. Populations of canvasbacks and other birds recovered for benefit of sportsmen and other bird lovers. Then came smokeless powder, autoloading shotguns, outboard motors, lightweight boats, plastic decoys, shot cups, synthetic insulation, etc. It became easier and more comfortable to get birds in close and kill them at longer ranges. So I feel for ethical reasons alone the handicapping of hunters by the three-shell limit, establishment of zones, refuges and rest areas was justified for the continuation of sport hunting and acceptance by the public. Now that lead shot, lead-acid batteries, lead paint, etc. have been found to cause heath problems in humans and birds alike, I do not object to the conversion to non-toxic shot. If birds could shoot, it would be like moving them forward a few yards at the trap range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith said - "I’m really sorry to see some say that lead ammunition bans are inevitable. The best way to have that happen is to simply give up the fight, or to vote for the anti-gun Democrats who are behind it."

While I agree with you, I think it is inevitable because we are simply outnumbered. We are having all sorts of things forced upon us that we don't agree with. Too many people vote with emotion rather than logic or vote over a single-issue rather than the bigger picture. Finally, so go the cities, so goes the State. Great example is New York. It doesn't matter what or how the North Country/Adirondacks or other rural areas think or vote. Voters in NYC and the large cities decide.

It is also inevitable because we have numerous outdoor and shooting "writers" pushing for it as well under the foolish belief that it is the "right thing to do" and will save our heritage/activities. In my opinion, it just gives the anti-hunting/shooting groups another little victory and they are off to the next ban.

We as sportsman should not give an inch on anything. They are constantly trying to ban hound hunting. Many hunters think "I don't hunt Bears or Coyotes with hounds, so it doesn't affect me."

You will feel very differently when they come after your Beagles, or even Retriever next, because they will never stop.

Back to the OP - I really enjoy the TGS videos on YouTube. Very well done and informative.

Last edited by OldMaineWoodsman; 08/21/23 08:28 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I agree with most of your above post, OMW, I am not as ready to acquiesce as you seem to be. I do not think a total lead ban is inevitable. Not anymore than I think EVs are going to totally replace fossil fuel vehicles, or that heterosexual marriage is a thing of the past. Evil will not always win, though at times it may seem hopeless. History abounds with examples of smaller numbers defeating seemingly overwhelming odds. We must be sure our fight is righteous, and not just emotional. We will not win this fight with keyboard warriors alone, important as they may be. We can only win it by countering the false claims of the greenies every day in our secular lives, electing righteous people to public office, and praying to the Almighty for justice to prevail in our lifetimes. If complaining about it on a forum is the best we can do, then yes, stick a fork in us because we are done.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

May God bless America and those who defend her.
3 members like this: coosa, keith, OldMaineWoodsman
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by OldMaineWoodsman
....We as sportsman should not give an inch on anything. They are constantly trying to ban hound hunting. Many hunters think "I don't hunt Bears or Coyotes with hounds, so it doesn't affect me."....
This could be a reason some believe a lead ban is inevitable. We have friends here that insist it is inevitable, along with the sentiment that, they just shoot classic double guns and rifles, so there is no threat to their likes.

Compromise is heading towards....no one has banned hunting, there are plenty of estates for the holdouts. Shooters have numbers, but it's 9mm and 223 sales where the numbers are. Friends, not necessarily, enemies, not necessarily, allies, why not.

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.