April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (fab500, Craigster, ClapperZapper, Chad Linder, Argo44, earlyriser), 474 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,154
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am replacing an ejector (top) on an SKB 28 ga. The ones I have fitted before have had the rim already set up and only required fitting. This one (28 ga) came in without the cutout; I just noticed it or I would have sent it back to SKB. Cannot figure out how to do that. I don't have a milling machine, only a milling attachment for a Southbend 9" lathe and have not checked to see if I have an end mill of the correct size.) Thanks Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Might be possible to rent a chamber reamer fro Reamer rentals. These typically have rim cutter incorporated. Take it very slow and apply side thrust to keep cutter in extractor. Otherwise Clymer may be able to make you one with a piloted guide.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, Not sure what your ability is as far as machining but if you have a 4 jaw chuck or face plate you may be able to mount the ejector in or to one of these and cut the rim groove with a standard lathe tool. Going to take some thought to get a solid mount and take light cuts but I think it would be doable...

WBLdon

1 member likes this: ithaca1
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a couple of 28 gauge chamber reamers with rim cutter and pilot floating around the PGCA forum. The reason is that early 28 gauge Parkers had smaller than normal rim recesses that needed to be enlarged. I did my first 28 gauge Parker on a Bridgeport vertical mill, right angle setup. It was a nightmare that I don't want to repeat. A PGCA member responded to me and offered to lend me his reamer. I don't remember his name. The Clymer reamer I borrowed made the rim cut a five minute job.

1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
I have done a couple rim recesses with piloted counterbores. Turn a new pilot to fit the chamber and grind a slightly larger counterbore t the diameter of the rim recess. If you don't have a toolpost grinder, you can "rig" a hand grinder in the milling attachment to make one. I find that 4 or 5 small cutoff discs(trued) stacked on the handpiece makes a satisfactory grinding wheel. I turn the work backward and the grinder forward, but friends disagree with that. Cover the bed and dovetail surfaces well. Use a piece of sheet metal to block the sparks from catching the cover afire. I always turned the counterbore by hand to prevent catastrophic mistakes, but I can understand setting the barrel/extractor between centers in the lathe with the counterbore in the headstock and a plug with center in the appropriate barrel muzzle. I would still loosen the belts and turn the chuck by hand, rather than under power.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or get one of those terrible Parker guys to lend you a Clymer chamber reamer for an hour or two. In five minutes, you will be done.

1 member likes this: mc
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a very easy process one of the guys on here loaned me his 28 reamer nothing to it.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

File the leading edge a small amount on the extractor then cut the recess it takes about as long as to explain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please take it from one who has fitted and rimmed a lot of extractors . Do not mess about and risk ruining the work you have already done . If you cant borrow a correct rimming cutter get someone else who has oneto do it for you .

2 members like this: Ghostrider, bushveld
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I ended up sending it back to SKB; I couldn't muster the courage to try it. It's like a $70 part from SKB. The others that I have purchased from SKB have shown up with the cutout already done. I am thinking this was an oversight on their part. Thanks for the suggestions. Gil

[IMG]

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.