April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Argo44, Mark II, ivanhoe, Karl Graebner, 2 invisible), 439 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,161
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello everyone, I have a used British double that I'm looking at potentially purchasing but need some help. I can't figure out what's going on with the left ball fence, on this one. Note the disk? It looks like something was cut out and repaired, but I'm not familiar enough with English doubles of this age to know if this would be something to be wary of. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The gun is from a very reputable maker in London that would go on to helm one of the oldest and arguably best double gun makers in the city.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you looking at that round area which shifts when opened? That is part of the locking system. Take a look a Greeners for clear examples.

Welcome to the club. Fair warning, doubles can be addictive and costly. Buy quality, not the name or shine. Most A&D boxlocks are the same, with a majority made by a few makers not necessarily the names on the gun. Bringing in semi or completely finished gun and having your name on them, like you built them in house, is a long standing and completely acceptable thing in the trade.

Last edited by KY Jon; 01/08/24 03:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

tallen72,

If you are talking about the round disk it if the end of the cross bolt. It goes thru a hole in the rib extension & is most likely tapered. This locks the action closed and is controlled by the lever, when the lever is moved to the right it moves the cross bolt to the left unlocking the action allowing the barrels to drop.

Hope this helps.
WBLDon

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
Are you looking at that round area which shifts when opened? That is part of the locking system. Take a look a Greeners for clear examples.

Welcome to the club. Fair warning, doubles can be addictive and costly. Buy quality, not the name or shine. Most A&D boxlocks are the same, with a majority made by a few makers not necessarily the names on the gun. Bringing in semi or completely finished gun and having your name on them, like you built them in house, is a long standing and completely acceptable thing in the trade.
Originally Posted by WBLDon
tallen72,

If you are talking about the round disk it if the end of the cross bolt. It goes thru a hole in the rib extension & is most likely tapered. This locks the action closed and is controlled by the lever, when the lever is moved to the right it moves the cross bolt to the left unlocking the action allowing the barrels to drop.

Hope this helps.
WBLDon

Thank you both. I have a couple of American doubles from the 20s and then a French guild gun from the interwar period, but none of them are Greener actions, so I had not seen this before.

The gun in question is a John Robertson from Boss & Co. bearing the 41 Albemarle Street London W.1 address.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A John Robertson is nicer that your average boxlock and I think you now know what a cross-bolt is(?) and looks like. I grew up with American guns and then somebody completely ruined me by handing me a British gun. That individual (who is still around) has cost me a lot of time and money over the years. I'm not sure whether I should thank him or curse him.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I had just never seen one that popped out the left side of the fences before. So I was a bit confused. The American doubles I have aren't finer guns. I have a LeFever Nitro Special, Riverside 215, and again, that French St. Etienne guild gun. Most of my shotguns are either slide-action or semi-automatic.

I don't have this one in my hands yet, but I went ahead and bought it. Seemed like a reasonable price for the gun once I looked up the name. $720 before shipping thanks to a discount (shipping was only $30). Here's the link to it. It'll be the first British double I've ever owned. https://www.ows-ammo.com/british12-gauge-side-by-side-shotgun-made-by-j-robertson?___SID=U

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
That individual (who is still around) has cost me a lot of time and money over the years. I'm not sure whether I should thank him or curse him.

In my case, this board is wholly to blame.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never seen a John Robertson in that style of action

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I reached out to Boss & Co. Late yesterday, this is their response.

"J Robertson is a second-grade box lock gun made in Birmingham for Boss & Co, only sold by Boss & Co. There was no order book or records to view."

Seems pretty straight forward.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There you go never say never most I have looked at didn't have a rib extension and greener cross bolt .if you strip and clean it can you look if there is any marking under the bottom plate.Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.