May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Guy Ave, David Williamson, Wild Skies, 3 invisible), 149 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,079
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10450 11/16/06 10:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is any gap between the barrels and the reciever considered off face or is some gap considered acceptable?

This is a question of semantics. The real question is at what point does the gun become unsafe to shoot? I have shot guns that have some play between the action and bbls without incident, and any gun that is loose has by definition been shot in that condition (they don't get that way from old age). I would say when the brass heads on the shells start to deform it's too loose and is about to give you a nasty surprise. But it's a good idea to fix play as soon as it's noticeable because I think it accelerates due to a "hammer" effect. Most practical way is to tig weld and then dress the front bbl hook.

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles

I have several SxS's that I can slip a 0.003"-0.005" feeler gauge between the breech face and the barrels when the action is closed. But there is no play between the barrels and the action when closed. Some gap is OK, but looseness is a sign of bad things to come.

Mike Doerner

Last edited by I. Flues; 11/16/06 11:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an old AYA Yeoman that is off face - you know when its getting bad when the forend drops off when you fire it!!! Then its time to do something about it-----------------------

like wrap tape around the forend and barrel to stop it dropping off.
Next project is a shim - she isn't worth spending money on for a re-joint !

Jonty

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents,

Thank you for the responses. The gun in question is not loose whatsoever but I've noticed that when held up to a light a small gap can be seen. I'll need to check it with a feeler gage.

If it gets really bad I guess I'll need to pick up a roll of duct tape...... :-)

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's an interesting and informative discussion of this topic:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....;o=&fpart=1

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Being on face & tight to the action bar are of course two entirely different things. One is in an axial direction while the other is rotational. On certain types of bolting mechanisms the gun can be off face to the point you could throw a cat between the bbls & breech, but would still bolt down tight to the action bar. I realize many will take this as sacrilege but the old Jones Underlever comes to mind.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Curl. Very interesting article. I guess I can conclude that although the action is tight (and doesn't seem to have been peened) it is slightly off-face. This gun has a doll's head extension so the repair may be more involved. I think I'll just live with it and shoot it sparingly.

Phil

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.