March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Researcher #10767 11/19/06 12:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely nothing to disagree with there! Yes, Jimmy, there are "savory" (graded) Supers which HAVEN'T rotted away. And that rackety one-rail m12 is sweet for skeet. Researcher, you can come over and play anytime you want!

jack

rabbit #10769 11/19/06 12:58 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My take on Supers is that they (12g only) tend to follow the price of a Citori and may have started to inch foward of Citori's lately. Consider that a Citori gun is near 2 grand today and the target versions are mid $2k numbers. A few years back you could buy most any 12ga standard grade Super for $1200 in near pristine condition, especially the trap guns. So, they are on the rise rapidly. I like the Supers but also like the early Citori's for their quality. I think an early Citori can be superior in workmanship to the Supers. Late Citori's and the current Citori based guns (like the one I currently have) are poorly fitted.

Chuck H #10781 11/19/06 07:59 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those semi-pistol grips made for you and me; surprised Pete Seegar didn't write song about them. Sometimes loose ribs; probably no Nippon gun has ever had that problem. Just sold '37 $&$. Didn't make money didn't loose any either.

jack

rabbit #10849 11/19/06 07:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have skeet and trap both made about 1936, the trap in low four digits but the factory historian says it was shipped late. The ribless Grade 1 Lightning Skeet has about four hundred rounds through it, the 32" Midas Trap probably has 400,000 rounds through it. They both close the same, both single triggers work well, all four ejectors are perfect. The top lever position is a tad left of center on the Midas, but has never been rebolted as far as I know. I don't like the way a Super breaks in so fast and starts to be a little loose on the hinge, but when closed they seem to stay tight for a long time. The old Midas came to me as a basket case, but oddly still had a Browning marked cloth bag hanging from the trigger guard which contained the two extra gold plated Midas firing pins that came with the gun.

Last edited by eightbore; 11/19/06 07:05 PM.
eightbore #10900 11/20/06 04:19 AM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Well, 90% of ALL Brownings, (not just the Superposed) from the salt years had salt issues. I never heard that the Grades Ones slipped through the cracks. So, even if you don't catch one of the few, you will still be stuck with one that has the salt gun serial number and most people will shy (or run) away from them. So why buy one from those years when you can buy one for the same money from another year..... I'll never forget a few years ago, one very reputable dealer trying to be honest (but not too honest)and actually pointing out the pitting all around the firing pins on a .410 Super salt gun that he was selling for $1600.00 and telling me that it was probably caused by the gunpowder. (That way he could say he showed me the pitting if I ever came back with the gun and complained.) Yeah, right.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 11/20/06 04:20 AM.
Jimmy W #10901 11/20/06 04:27 AM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

By the way, right after I set that .410 back in the rack, another guy came over and started going ape over it for that price and the nice shape it was in. I didn't figure I would get involved in it, so he ended up buying it and was putting it in his car when I was leaving the parking lot. OUCH !! OUCH !! OUCH !!

Jimmy W #10902 11/20/06 05:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The B25 is almost entirely hand-made.

I had one built to my spec, and took delivery last year after a wait of 12 months. Part of the process was a visit to the CustomShop to see the guns being made, select my exhibition wood, meet and talk to the engravers to explain what I wanted - and to view the hundreds of other available options. The trouble is you can keep adding options and end up with a fantastic but very expensive gun!!!

Nearly every process is carried out by hand. The actions are hand shaped after rough machining and the contours / fences cut with chisels, the barrels are brazed and ribs soldered - all by hand. The action and barrels and most of the internal parts are fitted by the lamp black technique. The stocks are fitted using a red ochre to ensure uniform fit. They are then shaped by hand to the customers specs. The stock is then treated to countless coats of a linseed oil and wax based stock treatment - then chequered by hand.

The engraving is entirely hand cut. After all this is carried out the guns are sent for C Case treatment, after they are returned the fit is again checked and finally adjusted - and all the small internal parts hand polished depending on grade.

Believe me everything is hand done apart from the initial rough maching / hogging out. If I wanted to be critical from an engineering point of view not enough is done by machine, and the process could benefit from CNC! BUT you would end up with a gun that has the balance and feel of a Citori and not that of a gun that leaps up and wants to shoot itself.

I do own both types of gun and there is no doubt that Jap built Brownings are fantatsicly put together guns, and at a price almost everyone can afford - but there can never be a direct comparison between the two guns - the Belgium ones have life in them.

Jonty

Jonty #10904 11/20/06 09:18 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jonty,
Just my perspective, but I always thought the Jap Brownings had one major physical characteristic that made them clunky, the barrels seem very heavy. That works well for a skeet gun, but a field gun needs a little lighter barrels, IMO. This characteristic is very evident when comparing the 20g Citori field guns to the Superposed field guns.

Chuck H #10914 11/20/06 09:55 AM

They are still the best value on the market for the money and can be found almost anywhere. Our local gun show in NoVa over the weekend had at least half a dozen good Grade 1 SP 12 gauges in trap and field configuration right around $1500-$2K range depending on finish and some really neat early 20 gauges for $2250-2500. I don't think you can buy a better built gun anywhere, regardless of price. As for the Citoris, they are totally different guns but are completely bullet-proof so far as performance goes. Inexpensive, ultimately reliable good shooters that you can find anywhere for very reasonable prices. Unlike the Supers, they will handle steel for waterfowl hunting, which is a huge plus in our neck of the woods. KBM

Ortolan #10916 11/20/06 10:08 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ortolan,
I agree with everything you said, except that the Citori is a totally different gun. The design of the reciever and it's internal lockwork share the very similar designs with the Citori drawing heavily from the Super. One could say the Citori is the next gen Super. Had the Citori been made in Belgium or the US, the following would be larger and the prices higher, IMO. The early Citori's, say pre '90s, that I owned were very well made, with obviously better machining than the Supers I've owned or handled. The current batch of Citori based guns (I'll include the 525 and others) really are still a value (my current 525 included), but not near the quality of my early Citori's.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.