May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jeremy Pearce, SKB), 226 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,033
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello David,

The owner of the blown barrel I posted was really lucky in that he "only" has an ugly scar on his arm to show for it.

Quote:
just shoot todays modern loads

You in the US are somewhat cursed with SAAMI standards, but modern loads do include CIP standard loaded shells that have reasonable pressures of 2 3/4" shells you can use in 2,5" chambers.

The fact that plastic shells are used should also be brought into the equation: the difference in thickness of a paper hull going into the forcing cone is not the same as a plastic one doing the same. JMTC

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry;
I think we are actually making progress. I think you have made an accurate assesment of the situation Fergus encountered. As I recall his acount the gun was a very early one & the cone was so short as to be almost a step.
It is also noted that 65mm & 2½" are not mathamaticaly identical. 2½ = 63.5mm. I have not had opportunity to measure a large number of British guns but from what I read I believe that many, if not most nominal 2½" British guns did have the 65mm chambers which are about 2 9/16". Now if this early chamber were a true 2½" (It is my understanding some were) & if that cone was on the order of just a 30°-45° chamfer at the end, then even a 67.5mm hull could have entered the bore proper, not just a portion of the cone. I highly suspect this was somewhat the condition Fergus encountered. This could indeed create a check to the early movement of the shot causing a rapid build of pressure. I can also see a sudden release taking place which would cause this high pressure to give an enhanced velocity to the charge & in fact the cutting off of the portion of the hull in the bore may have provided this release. This enhanced velocity would then create the extra recoil. It is though quite possible that with a different set of conditions A pressure spike can occur but this sudden release not happen & there be no increase in either velocity or recoil. So yes Larry, any abnormal increase in recoil should most definitely be immediately & thoroughly investigated for cause, But the point I have been trying to instil is "If" it does not occur, one cannot automatically determine no abnormal pressure has occured. To load a longer shell in a shorter chamber established guidelines must be adhered to & Recoil is not a reliable indicator of Maximum Peak Pressure.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good points, Miller--and from what Fergus wrote, I think the situation he encountered was as you describe it.

I don't have a recent Brit 2 1/2" gun to measure. Most, of course, are now chambered 2 3/4"/70mm. The older 2 1/2" guns reproofed recently are remarked, I think, 65mm--even though I do not believe any actual modification in length has been made. So even though 2 1/2" does not equal 65mm, I think the Brits treat the two as being the same. I found it interesting that Fergus' old gun passed reproof some time after 1954. Apparently the proof loads didn't produce anything unusual, even though the 67mm shells did.

I think a reasonable conclusion is this: mouth of the unfired hull extending into the bore itself, or into a very short and sharp forcing cone, may very well produce dangerous results in terms of a pressure spike, visible damage to the hull, and perhaps increased recoil.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
JayCee, your picture of the blown barrel, I don't reload black powder but the difference between the two powders is probably 3-1, so he used approximately 100 grains of smokeless, talk about excess, he's lucky.

David;
As I recall this occurance the owner of the Remington dbl mistakenly used smokeless IMR PB powder & loaded by black powder volume. I do not now recall the exact load intended, but let's assume 3 drams. In black powder this would weigh 82 grains. Most smokeless shotgun powders weigh considerably less for an equal volume of black & while I have not actually performed a check weighing, just using figures from a Lee Dipper chart PB would have a wt of about 57% that of black. For a BP 3 dram volume it should thus have weighed about 47 grains. I don't have an IMR loadbook in front of me but this was likely approaching a double charge. Double charging with smokeless powders is not such a good idea. It is imperative to keep ones B's & P's in the right order.

Last edited by 2-piper; 09/14/08 01:29 AM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's like getting a head-start, reading from members who've read the great books. Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, I also remember as you do. His conclusion was he'd never again have two different powders on the bench at the same time while reloading.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L Brown
I think a reasonable conclusion is this: mouth of the unfired hull extending into the bore itself, or a very short and sharp forcing cone, may very well produce dangerous results in terms of a pressure spike, visable damage to the hull, and perhaps increased recoil.

Originally Posted By: L Brown
"Jim, if you don't believe that an increase of 1500 psi and blown ends on shells might also result in an increase in recoil, why don't you try it for yourself and see? Sort of in Bell's "Finding Out For Myself" mode. Personally, I am more than willing to accept the reports from Thomas and Fergus that long shells fired in short chambers with short cones produced similar visible results to the ends of the shells; so why is it unlikely that they also produced similar increases in pressure? And in both cases, they reported significantly increased recoil. And in Fergus' case, he fired the same long shells in another gun, also with short chambers but with longer forcing cones, with totally different results: no blown ends on the hulls, no noticeable increase in recoil. He also reported that true 2 1/2" hulls worked fine in the gun with the short cones."

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg

An increase in pressure of 1500 psi MIGHT increase velocity and therefore increase recoil. BUT, the increase in recoil WILL be because of the increased velocity, NOT because of the increase in pressure.
And NO, I don't believe blowing the ends off of shells will increase recoil.
I'm amazed at the lengths you pressure believers will go to prove that pressure CAUSES recoil. It does not! rates of accelleration and all the other smokescreens offered are just smokescreens. Recoil is caused by the gun's reaction to the velocity of the ejecta, period. Learn to live with it. Facts are facts. Physics is physics. BS and speculation are just BS and speculation.
You might as well say the primer causes recoil because without it, there would be no burning of powder and expanding gases to cause the velocity of the ejecta. Or maybe it's the trigger's fault.

Originally Posted By: rabbit
I think your average 6lb shotgun firing 1 oz loads at 1200 fps recoils at a velocity a bit over 12 fps. I didn't even have to take my shoes off for that one ! Probably should put one on rails and time it.

jack

Jim Legg & Jack +100..........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Doug . . . all of this remains in the "unknown" category, until someone does something like firing a 3" shell in a 2 1/2" chamber and seeing if the velocity increases vs a 3" shell fired in a 3" chamber. Both Sherman Bell and Arthur Curtis (the latter reporting in an American Rifleman article from 1936) did indeed fire 3" shells in 2 1/2" chambers--Bell in a 12ga pressure barrel, as part of his "Finding Out for Myself" tests, and Curtis in standard .410's with 2 1/2" chambers. Both reported blown ends on the shells. Bell reported the nearly 1500 psi increase in pressure. Neither, unfortunately, provided comparative velocity readings. Bell would not have noted increased recoil, since it was a pressure barrel rather than a shoulder-fired gun. Curtis reported no "trouble or great discomfort other than would be expected from the use of high-speed loads", and he apparently didn't bother to shoot the same 3" shells in a .410 of the same model, only with the appropriate 3" chambers, so that he could make an on the spot comparison of recoil. But we do have other reports of increased recoil from long shells being fired in short chambers, and while one would tend to say--given the major factors in how recoil is generated--that it must be due to increased velocity, we don't know that for sure without velocity measurements having been taken. On the other hand . . . with a blown end from the shell also going down the barrel, we have now increased ejecta WEIGHT vs the same shell without the end blown off. So that might be a possible explanation for a noted increase in recoil. Although not a lot of additional ejecta weight . . . who knows? Certainly easy enough to test for a velocity increase, using a .410 with 2 1/2" chambers, if anyone is willing to do as Curtis did and fire 3" shells in one of those.

Food for further discussion and experimentation . . . and truly unfortunate Jim Legg is no longer here to join in on the discussion.

Last edited by L. Brown; 11/27/11 07:59 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"On the other hand . . . with a blown end from the shell also going down the barrel, we have now increased ejecta WEIGHT vs the same shell without the end blown off. So that might be a possible explanation for a noted increase in recoil. Although not a lot of additional ejecta weight . . . who knows?"

OK guys no sense guessing about the theoretical. To make life easy I have included a link to an automated recoil calculator. Plug in you numbers and find out for yourself.

http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/Shotgun_Recoil_Calculator.htm

I think any increase in recoil that could possibly be attributed to a little bit of dislodged plastic will be negligible at best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: TwiceBarrel

"On the other hand . . . with a blown end from the shell also going down the barrel, we have now increased ejecta WEIGHT vs the same shell without the end blown off. So that might be a possible explanation for a noted increase in recoil. Although not a lot of additional ejecta weight . . . who knows?"

OK guys no sense guessing about the theoretical. To make life easy I have included a link to an automated recoil calculator. Plug in you numbers and find out for yourself.

http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/Shotgun_Recoil_Calculator.htm

I think any increase in recoil that could possibly be attributed to a little bit of dislodged plastic will be negligible at best.

That's handy, thanks TwiceBarrel and "fly safe"......

Best Regards,

Doug

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.