Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Plumber, let's try to keep it kind of manly and Olde Spice around here? Chingus OK, maybe whazzit, but thingy? That Jerry Seinfeld sensitive metrosexual stuff is really contagious LOL. I had to go look at the Fox book before posting cause all I could think of was lever check. It does both--checks or locks and trips the lever. Actually I think it retards the rotary (sometimes called the gizmozus) from closing which in turn holds the lever over until the returning rib extension pushes it down or "trips" it.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

HEY Rabbit I dont see where I used the term Thingy In my post. Also I got my 20 out and I think I just was not pushing far enough to the right it works fine. Thanks

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

rabbit - I may me misunderstanding, but the lever does lock to the right and it does trip when the action is closed. The issue is that the lever CAN release the barrels before it locks and will then rebound to the center. So, you can open the gun and the lever is still in the center. However, if the lever is pushed more positively to the right it does lock with a pleasant click and functions normally.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: plumber
HEY Rabbit I dont see where I used the term Thingy In my post. Also I got my 20 out and I think I just was not pushing far enough to the right it works fine. Thanks

I've examined a lot of sterlingworths including another unfortunately adulterated 20 at the same dealer. They all stayed closed until the lever was locked to the right at which point they released the barrels. this one is releasing sooner but will still lock open if pushed just a bit farther.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an Ithaca Flues with this "Problem" once. I rather liked it that way so never bothered to Fix it. I just developed the habit of always pushing the lever all the way over to latch. Upon preparing to stow it away though I could carefully push the lever over just enough to open the gun & allow to return to center, push off the safety, pull the triggers then close just enough for the hammers to clear the sears & then push lever back over & close the gun, simultaneously letting down the hammers. It was a field gun & my personal preference on these is to leave the auto-safeties original & functional.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry about the flub; Was doing one of those NoNo's & eating at the keyboard. Went to wipe some dribblings off & have absolutely no idea which key I rubbed, but suddenly had added more than 9 pages @ 10 posts per page. Could only delete one post at a time & I am on dial-up. It's all cleared out now though.

Last edited by 2-piper; 09/21/08 10:52 PM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, posts gone wild! Sorry, Vdogs, I gave the conventional answer to the unconventional question. Guess the rotary clears before the trip acts. Maybe it's just dirt and grease preventing the thingy from operating in a timely fashion. Sorry Plumber, gunut was the one getting the nomenclature lesson I guess. Sorry for trying to be funny. Duh, dudda, duh, duh, duh, duh.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting you bring up this topic, I have a 20ga sterlingworth that does the same thing your talking about. The trip works exactly as it is suppose to as long as you hold it to the full open position and move the barrels to the open position. I have several graded Fox's and have never found this to be a problem, but all of them have the deely type forearm latch. I attribute the sterlingworth issue to the spring loaded snap-off forearm which holds some pressure on the barrels to action and because of this you need to be more aware of opening the barrels farther before releasing the opening lever.

This is just what I've found with my gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It could be as simple as a gunked-up spring or a short/weak replacement. Though tiny, I wouldn't describe them as wimpy. I have one on the bench and it measures .400" long with 11 coils of .022" wire.

I had one that behaved that way and putting a small ball bearing under the spring in the trip pin recess solved the problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And if you don't have the original spring, you can guesstimate how long to cut your replacement by using the counterbored bolt in the trigger plate as a gauge. Run the bolt in until the trip can't be depressed enuf to close the gun. Amount of bolt protruding above the trigger plate plus depth of cntrbore is the amount to trim the spring. You do want it move the trip authoritatively but you can't have more coils than there's room for.

jack

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.