April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (tut, rtw, Jem Finch, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,843
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dmh Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I came across this J.B. Warrilow 16 ga boxlock for sale here in Ontario. It's a couple of hours away and I haven't gone to look at it yet, but I wondered if anyone could give me their opinion on it from the photos I was sent. I've never owned a British gun but thought this one looked interesting. From the research I did it seems to have Birmingham black powder proofs only. Is that correct? Would low pressure smokeless shells be safe to shoot if the gun is otherwise sound?

The barrels measure 29 1/2" and the chokes measure IC and full with a drop-in gauge. Are they likely to have been cut back from 30" or could they have started out at 29 1/2"? I called back and asked how the muzzle looked - was told the edges of the bbls don't quite touch at the muzzle but no obvious signs of having been cut. If a half inch has been trimmed, should I stay away?

It weighs just 6 lbs and the stock is long enough for me, so I'm interested and would like to hear any opinions. The asking price is $2200 (Canadian). Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Warrilow 12ga that has about the same amount of engraving than yours, mine has London Proofs and my gunsmith thinks it may have been a Belgian made action finished in England due to the use of pins instead of screws. Mine has a Greener crossbolt as does your but you have bushed pins which I do not. Mine has an Anson Deeley number, yours doesn't. The only thing I have ever found out about them is that Boothroyd seems to think they were made by CG Bonehill and yours certainly was. Mine however has no such mark so it seems to me Mr. James B. Warrilow of Chippingham, Wiltshire sourced his guns from more than one maker.

Yours is only the third or fourth I have heard of, one was a 20ga.

Yours looks to have been refinished, the bead is new and the bottom strap seems proud of the wood. The barrel length wouldn't bother me if there was still enough choke to suit my needs and the gun was sound. My barrels are 28" even and I had mine reproofed for 2-1/2" smokeless, the proof house told me they would pass it for 2-3/4" if I wanted but I passed on that.

It's about $1880 US not a great deal but not a bad one if the gun is sound and it fits you, plus it's a 16ga. Have the bores and walls measured though.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

dmh, the gun is definitely Bonehill built,as it has their patent
ClipLump under the the barrels.Bonehill was a major maker with a large factory so this is not bad.The gun appears to be a non-ejector and has damascus barrels.Obviously good quality and has been refinished as mentioned. I think your attention should be focussed on how good the barrels are.Are the bores clean? What is the barrel wall thickness.Looks like it was built at 17/1 which means the bores were less that .662 when new. Check what they are now.Barrel length is probably original and it does have only black powder proofs which probably means it was built pre-1896.
Price seems OK if the barrels are good

Last edited by Terry Lubzinski; 02/07/09 05:28 PM.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

dmh,

Interesting barrels. Take a good look. The damascus pattern changes from the breech to the muzzle. It starts out as a twist and finishes in a crolle. That is unusual. They obviously welded a second billet in which is normal. Whether the change in pattern was intentional or a mistake is any one's guess. There is thread going that you may finding.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...e=1&fpart=1

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't think anyone would notice (or care ) and already put those brls on the 'Damascus Anomalies' album http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/18015717

The breech is some kind of crolle with 'squished' scrolls

The muzzle is typical Two Iron 'Oxford'

Last edited by revdocdrew; 02/07/09 10:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can tell where the transition occurred on the left barrel at the barrel loop

Last edited by revdocdrew; 02/07/09 11:10 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The breech segment may be a Two Iron version of this. Whatchathink jOe?

Last edited by revdocdrew; 02/08/09 09:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doc don't get me to lying....they all look like rugs to me.

Looks like a really nice gun...better than most Boneshills I've saw.
If I wanted the gun and it was in good condition bore and choke wise I'd offer him less based on it being a 16 ga. and not Nitro proofed.

dmh Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Guys- thanks for all of the feedback on the gun. Terry, thanks for the explanation of the 17/1 mark - I couldn't figure out what that one meant.

I will take the drive to look at the gun later this week. If I make an offer it will be contingent on having the bbls measured and inspected.

I would like to hear your opinions about shells I could use if the barrels pass muster and I buy the gun. Are black powder 16 ga loads available? Would you use low pressure smokeless shells without sending the gun back to Birmingham for nitro proof? What is the cost to send a gun back to the proof house?

Dave

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, low pressure smokeless 16ga shells are certainly available. BP, I don't know but doubt it. The Damascus guys may have other advice, but I would not shoot nitro in ANY gun, Damascus or fluid steel, without nitro proof. Not sure what the proofhouse cost is these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.