May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (j7l2, Lloyd3, Hammergun, Jusanothajoe), 157 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,084
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Everyone draws the line somewhere, when it's OK to kill and when it isn't.

I'm sure there are practicing Buddhist's that don't think twice about slapping a mosquito. I know anti-hunters that draw the line just past fish, they have no problem eating a salmon steak while condemning bird hunters.
Here, we have some bird hunters that choose not to kill mammals. Then there are those of us that delineate between types of mammals. I, personally, currently draw the line at large predators, no problem deer and pig hunting but have no desire to shoot a brown bear or elephant or lion. For some reason a black bear is fair game until I find out if I don't like the meat. So's a buffalo. Personally I don't see the attraction to varminting, coyote shooting, live pigeon, tower shoots or South American Dove slaughters.

But that's me. As my friend Brian put much more eloquently than I ever could, it's all sport hunting. And we hang together or hang individually.

We all draw the line somewhere in our own minds.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob

But that's me. As my friend Brian put much more eloquently than I ever could, it's all sport hunting. And we hang together or hang individually.

That is what I was getting at in all this - just didn't say it very well.

Thanks Jim, thanks Rob.

I have been on South American Dove hunts and I found them very sporting and enjoyable and would gladly go again if I win the lottery or if my shooting student Joe Wood would pay my way, both prospects have about the same probability as I don't buy lottery tickets.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 03/02/09 09:34 AM.

I am glad to be here.
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too believe that there is no difference in any one form of legal hunting over another, one species hunted over another, the use of trackers or dogs, stands or baits etc. It can’t be explained or justified by the need of the game itself for any reason. The scales favor the hunter over the hunted in nearly all scenarios. You can’t hunt and then try to distance yourself from another hunter or any other form of legal hunting. Hunting is a bloodsport and we are brothers in it.

PM #138332 03/02/09 07:01 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

PM,
well said.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

binko #138350 03/02/09 09:45 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: binko
How many of you, have had this close of a call while hunting? Good thing he had a good double rifle for a backup! The best I can do is tell about a duck shot coming straight on, that the dead Teal landed precisely between my feet. BION! Check this video out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVaD_cOX5so

Well done!

That is incredible. What are the odds of such a situation and having the camera record it so clearly.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was charged by a fifty pound feral pig one day while out quail hunting. When I raised my gun he saw me and diverted. That is about the same thing as the lion bit isn't it?

Hey, Danger is my middle name.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Mike:
You and everyone else here are entitled to their opinion. I don't think the sight of small game,which most people will assume will be consumed, brings forth the emotional resposne of that "Lion Hunt" video where everyone knows that isn't the case.
That's the difference. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.
I spent a couple of hours shopping at Cabalas in Glendale yesterday which,as I'm sure you know, has mounted big game species everywhere. I didn't hear any negative responses from the large crowds in the store but these people probably aren't representative of a true cross section of Americans either.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 03/02/09 11:06 AM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
I don't think the sight of small game,which most people will assume will be consumed, brings forth the emotional resposne of that "Lion Hunt" video where everyone knows that isn't the case.
That's the difference.

How about the "emotional response" of villagers living off a dollar a day and living in grass huts and having to watch a noble lion killing their goats? Do they have any say in this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd be willing to bet the majority of people at Cabela's don't even stop to think about how those mounts got there. Many probably think they are fake, or were made out of animals which somehow died in a non-gun way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I assume, Greg, you have got to be kidding us?

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.