May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (canvasback, Stanton Hillis, Der Ami, oskar, 1 invisible), 1,032 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,622
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#139388 03/08/09 01:29 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a Fox 12ga on inspection at the moment, the price is right. Heavy barrels (1 weight), that appear to have been re-rust blued, however the action was hot blued so I'm proceeding cautiously. There is a reasonably large-sounding "something" loose inside the ribs that rattles a bit when you turn the gun upside down. Bores appear good, ribs appear good, no sign of ribs coming apart or anything that I can see or hear. Gun is probably not worth a strip and relay at this point...would you worry about souch a "rattly", or would you shoot and be done with it? If I keep it I will sink a bunch of work into this at the very least, and probably some money too.
Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

David sounds like a bit of loose tin rattling around in there if the barrels ring ok you should not have a problem so long as they were not hot blued, the action being hot blued is not a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have taken on several such projects and always been pleased with the outcome. Buy the Fox and have it restored correctly and enjoy shooting it. Good Guns are always Good Fun. Think of it this way, any money you spend on this Fox restoration will be stimulating our economy and our President will be proud of you for it. So, spend some of your money in America on American craftsmanship and hopefully those same dollars will be spent again and again on American goods.

Just yesterday I was shooting a Parker 10 gauge side-by-side that was completely restored by two Pennsylvania gunsmiths. The cost of dollars spent to restore this American shotgun was the last thing on my mind as the clay bird targets broke to pieces and the clay rabbits rolled on and on and on with the dirt flying up all around them. Like Dad use to say, there is no way to have more fun with your pants on then shoot clays.

Buy the Fox, spend the money and the time to get it shooting perfectly for yourself and go have some fun with it.

Good Shooting To You, Jent

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks--Barrel is a slightly grainy dark grey, so it matches the rust blueing on my other guns, certainly does not look like any hot blue I've ever seen.
As I'm getting into it, it appears to me that the barrels have been cut--they measure 30 1/8 in and they do not meet at the muzzle...so if the muzzle was re-tinned to fill the ribs it would make sense if a bit of solder was in there. Pity, I would have like 32"...have to check the chokes now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If they have been cut it might be a good project gun for thinwall choke tubes for a field gun. I normally don't like them on an older gun, but if the chokes are gone it might be a good option.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to have a Zoli "Silver Hawk" SxS 20 that had a blob of solder loose inside the rib; it played "Jingle Bells" every time you threw the gun up to your shoulder. A great "extra feature"-very festive!

Sidelock
Sidelock

For me, the prime issue would be whether they retained sufficient choke, whether cut or uncut. Being within 1/8" of a nominal length and barrels not touching is true of many Foxes that letter properly. If they were originally 32" they could have lost 2" and still retain 2" of choke section and modified constriction. I'd measure the chokes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Furman
Thanks--Barrel is a slightly grainy dark grey, so it matches the rust blueing on my other guns, certainly does not look like any hot blue I've ever seen.
As I'm getting into it, it appears to me that the barrels have been cut--they measure 30 1/8 in and they do not meet at the muzzle...so if the muzzle was re-tinned to fill the ribs it would make sense if a bit of solder was in there. Pity, I would have like 32"...have to check the chokes now.

David, this does not always mean that the barrels have been cut in A H Fox's case. Sometimes they were a bit over or under the stated barrel length. And as far as the muzzles touching, forget about it, more often than not they did NOT. Your inside wall diameter and choke constrictions will tell all.

tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

What does Mr. Callahan say about the original length of your barrels? Fox barrels do not always touch at the ends when they leave the factory. Your gun could be a nominal 30" gun that is 1/8" over length. What grade is your gun? A 32" original Fox would be a rare bird unless it were an H Grade. Is your gun an H Grade?

Sidelock
Sidelock

This could be a loose packing piece. Sometimes they get dislodged - during re-proof for example. It is irritating but otherwise should be OK.

It could also be due to rust inside the rib. If the sound is like a number of small pieces falling down the rib rather than just one lump, be wary as rust under the rib can weaken the barrels where you can't see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.