Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Garbi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a Garbi Model 101 with H & H hand detachable locks. They have never been cleaned so I tried to take them off to clean it out. I got the right plate off with no problem. The left one doesn't seem to want to come off. I tried popping it off from the opposite side with a small plastic tube. the back starts to come out but the front won't budge.

I decided not to mess with it but when I went to put the right lock back in there's a lip in the front that needs to slide in first but when you do that you can't push the back in. If you put the back in first you can't clear the lip. It's seems to hit in the middle somewhere but I can't see any contact being made. The lock is cocked so I know it's not the hammer.

Is there some trick here I'm missing? I've never done this before so I probably should have left well enough alone!

Last edited by Glocksig; 12/11/06 08:13 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

you need to cock the hammers first, before you take them off or put them on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You may have to pull and hold the triggers down so they do not get in the way as you replace the locks, that one drove me nuts until I figured it out. The trigger springs hold the trigger blades up, they interfere with lock replacement. Just a thot,
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the locks are cocked, probably need to get the cocking levers in the bar out of the way. Pull up on protrusions at knuckle of bar, in this case the right hand one. May need to push forward on or wiggle the forward trigger.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would agree with Mike, you are probaly hitting the trigger blades, just push the triggers forward.

Craig

Garbi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It was the cocking levers, they went right in after that, damn that was frustrating. While we're on the subject everyone says to make sure you don't accidentally trip the hammer when the locks are out. Will the lock be damaged if this happens or is it just difficult to get it back together? It would be nice to know when I'm screwing around cleaning them and such..

Sidelock
Sidelock

No damage. There's a boss on the plate as hammer stop. Put one thumb over the hammer and pull back. May help to push down on the hammer spring while doing so. Doesn't take the strength of The Hulk. As for the "sticky" lock on the left hand, you might want to PM Jim Legg as he has posted the "approved" method of removal which involves, if I remember, light impact to the front of the bar. I just pushed them out on an AyA but might have been just dumb luck. If you need to remove them for cleaning, might as well know the best way up front.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently watched JJ Perodeau at Champlin Firearms carefully remove the lock from a hammer gun of mine. With one hand holding the wrist he stuck the butt of the gun against his body. The lock to be removed was facing upwards. JJ then took a wood dowel and began rapidly tapping the action in front of the lock. The vibration of the taps quickly raised the lock from the mortise. Looked like a very safe and effective way to do it.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 12/11/06 11:36 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

You're welcome.

jack

Garbi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Couldn't find a dowel but I was able to get it off by rapidly tapping my knuckle on the side and moving it around. I guest the first time is the trickiest..

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.