March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A couple of random thoughts:
I for one see no attempt at criticism in King Browns comments above. He just asking some IMO valid questions as a resident of another Country.
IMO; There is a possibility,however remote, of a popular uprising here and I expect if that were to occur the military would side with the uprisers. I think the Obama administration is well aware of this and so far has been treading very softly on those issues likely to inflame Conservatives.
Don't forget 65 Democrat Congressmen have gone on public record in informing this administration they will NOT support a new "Assault Weapons Ban" as they clearly understand what the consequences would be.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Watching the phenomena with interest, who are the panic-stricken buyers? I can't imagine members here being panic-stricken by anything. Are they first-time gun buyers? Why are tens, maybe hundreds of thousands, millions of Americans scared? - KB

I know a number of first-time buyers, none of whom are panic-stricken. Rather, they are prudent people who really don't like some of the foreseeable futures. I'm sure there is a small % out there who are trying to assure they "get theirs" before it gets more difficult or costly - they may be panic-stricken.

If two million (that would be "millions") USA citizens were scared, that would be about 0.7% which doesn't seem like a particularly large number. On the other hand, there are most probably many millions who are quite concerned, neither paniced nor scared, but concermed and alarmed as to the direction the new crop of office-holders seems to be headed. Could the USA citizenry be goaded into an uprising? Probably, but highly unlikely. There are way too many congressmen who recognize that no interest of theirs is served by being identified as "gov'ment people" on the wrong side of a rising. Should the new administration push so hard as to alienate the congress, then more or less nothing new happens until the next election. Should the administration try to overrun the congress, then a rising would be likely; but that seems unlikely at this time.

Paniced and scared, no, King, I don't see that. I see a rising % of citizens who have just realized that they may no longer be able to depend on the government leaving them alone to pursue life, liberty, and happiness.

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rocketman:
If you don't like "panic stricken"* just substitute something else like eager buyers,avid buyers or whatever strikes your fancy. However I was there and it's the first time I've ever observed buyers running to the ammo dealers to get in line.
*I alluded to the fact that many were probably first time buyers in an earlier post.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, I was not disputing with you, rather trying to explain the USA situation to KB. The news is usually out to cast gun buyers in the most negative of lights, so I imagine off-shore is getting a view of hordes of insane people having a gun feeding frenzy. You are right, I wasn't there. However, I'd ask if it was any different than any other commodity that is in short supply or might be offered at a bargan (relative to prices you have seen lately)? Perhaps you recall some of the near riots over the latest toy or electronic gizzy that is in short supply.

Certainly, no offense was meant!! Pardon, please, if I did.

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"However, I'd ask if it was any different than any other commodity that is in short supply or might be offered at a bargan (relative to prices you have seen lately)? Perhaps you recall some of the near riots over the latest toy or electronic gizzy that is in short supply."

No offense taken Rocketman. However I did a regression back to the original "gas shortage" in 1974 with the mad dash to the stations as this is what it reminded me of at the time. The buyers were orderly and as near as I could tell polite to one another. I think I got "panic stricken" from watching too much hype on CNN. The talking heads like to use dramatic terms like panic stricken.
One good thing I noted: Hauling cases of ammo to your car is probably good exercise as there wern't enough carts to go around!!
If this is anyones vision of the scene that's NOT what went on!!

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been told that the definition of panic-stricken is arriving late for a sale at Harrod's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the above. I asked because whatever the distinguishing marks attributed to Americans, timidity isn't one of them. Even with notions of civil unrest for whatever reasons, I'd be looking for something more potent than the handguns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One persons 'price gouging' is anothers 'supply and demand'.

I didn't hear any complaining about doubles available at bargain prices. Low demand = low prices.

The comment about infantry weapons borders on foolishness, but I wouldn't say anything that harsh in this forum.

As to the Crossroads of the West Gunshows. I miss them. Attended a hundred or more in Phoenix and Salt Lake City. Even set up a table one to rid myself of stuff before our cross country move. I've bought and sold a bunch of stuff over the years at those shows.

Currently using up a supply of once fired Federal .223 brass that I bought at a Phoenix show for $9 per 1000. I'll be shooting it in my 'infantry weapon's'. I left Phoenix in '98 so you can tell I was more prescient than today's 'panic' buyers.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, it was made in jest but then I'm also sick-to-death of outsiders feeling the need to critique America. It's like we're the Britney Spears of the world and all the other countries are interested in discussing what kind of toilet paper we use.

When was the last time you, as an American, felt the urge to weigh in on what the Dutch parliament was deciding? I'll bet 'never' is the answer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
The comment about infantry weapons borders on foolishness, but I wouldn't say anything that harsh in this forum

Meet you halfway, Utah. I'm not interested in armed insurrection and I'm still not seeing any sign of riot; but come the first word of ZOMBIES in South Georgia, I'll buy a machine- gun. Zombies scare the bejeebers out of me.

Of course when we do have the next round of riots, this round of black gun buying is going to make our world a lot more dangerous place. I GET the NRA position that we must all hang together, but it sure gives the aunties an advantage over us all when we take an extremist position.

My opinion only (and I'm wrong a lot), you stockpile all the infantry ordnance you think advisable...we might need'em in case of zombies...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 04/29/09 11:43 PM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.