Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW, they have no parts left for the Lyman Easy Loader. Bummer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello All

Take a look at these

For hand crimping

For crimp head held in drill press to slow the spindle speed WAY DOWN

Enjoy the day
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

i would be in for all gauges

BD
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek
I have one of those Ideal star tools shown in the last post in 16 gauge. I also have a 12 gauge head. Does anyone know how to swap out heads? I havent been able to remove the 16 gauge head.
Thanks
Lawrence

Not totally sure, Lawrence, not ever having had my hands on the complete machine. I was always under the assumption that one would unthread the gauge-specific collet from the threaded drive spindle and replace with the other gauge as needed. (See photo of turn-over head in my initial post). I could be all wet on this, but will stick by it until I learn differently.

Are the roll crimp heads to your machine different in appearance from what I've shown? If not, could the one head now in place be rusted on or gummed up to where it is reluctant to come off?

Also, my 'Thanks' for all of your interest/responses so far for this former Lyman product......we'll need to keep it coming if we hope to gain the company's attention.

Rob

Last edited by Robt. Harris; 05/31/09 09:35 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll step-up and commit to a full set.

How about contacting some of the reloading supply houses and see if they would have an interest in stocking them. This would give Lyman a long term reason to put them back into production.

Come on Lyman get the machines cranked up!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, The crimp heads on my machine look the same. The head looks threaded on but I think it might be welded as well. Its really tight and no where to get leverage to unscrew it.
Is it just me or the orange machines I have seen in person, mine included dont have theat riser attachment with the belt.
Mine has a handle on the large wheel whcih could take a belt to a motor if desired.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Robt. Harris
...Also, my 'Thanks' for all of your interest/responses so far for this former Lyman product......we'll need to keep it coming if we hope to gain the company's attention.

Rob,

Nice effort. 3 years there was a long discussion here about 16ga paper hulls. A small group even went so far as to looking into placing a bulk order with the manufacturer. Eventually we spoke at length with Mike Graf. As a result, Mike committed to offering them for only 1 year, 50,000 hulls, to test the market. Today, he is still selling them:
http://www.grafs.com/product/227202

Keep it up. It helps to call and speak to some one in management. Most are very reasonable and responsive to the shooting community. Ask Tinker, Mike Harrell, or Chuck H, they were all involved.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ideal handbook #27 (first one published after purchase by Lyman in 1925) shows #1, #2 & #3 Star crimpers. #1 simply has a hand crank attached directly to the spindle. #2 states it is for power use & has a two step pulley (6" & 3") attached directly to the spindle & it also has a hand knob attached to the outer rim of the 6" pulley. #3 is a head for use in a power lathe. Heads are interchangable & use interchangable pins for the crimping, available for either a square or rounded crimp. It also utilized a spring loaded follower to press against the top wad.
Ideal handbook #37 (1950) simply shows the "Star Crimper" which is stated to replace #'s 1, 2 & 5. This one has the riser with small pulley on spindle with large pulley atop the riser with hand knob. Head is stated to be the "New" solid type with solid follower. Heads are interchangable & it was also stated they would fit "Any" Star Crimper. A late fifties Handbook, which has lost its cover so actual number unknown at this date shows the same identical set up as the 1950 one.
The #27 handbook also shows a "Diamond" crimper which appears to have the same head as the star, but lacks the straight line pushing of the shell into the crimp head. I have a 10ga crimper which though unmarked looks identical to this Diamond crimper, utlizing the pins & seperate follower.
It was also stated in this handbook that the square crimp was generally preferable unless they gave feeding problems if using a "Repeater".
The Orange one pictured here may just have the riser removed & large pulley attached directly to spindle, or it may have been offered like this at some point. I am not up on all the iterations of the Star Crimper.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would buy a set!

CB

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete M.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll likely keep at this until the folks at Lyman Products quit answering my calls. Just kidding, but I hope something good can come of it.

Frankly, it's frustrating for some of us to see such sub-standard products (i.e. roll-crimpers, shell trimmers, etc.) being offered to the shooting public today, when many of us are old enough to remember what American ingenuity could and did turn out on a regular basis.

Within this thread alone, folks have mentioned three Lyman designs now out of production and that have no equal whatsoever among modern manufacturer's offerings. Sign of the times, I guess.

Rob

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.