April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lawrence Kotchek, SKB, Jimmy W, Mark Larson, UncleKP, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,810
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy makes it clear that some people prefer plow horses and others choose thoroughbreds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Jimmy I got this really nice custom Russian shotgun with a beavertail forend that I would be will to trade you straight up for one of those nasty Model 21's with those deplorable splinter forends. You know just so you don't have to look at it anymore. A 16 or 20 gauge would be real nice. Oh yeah I promise not to put it away using a shop towel either.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

No thanks. I already have a Baikal..... I don't know what you are trying to say, keith. Poison Ivy is not a tree. It's an ivy. So, it would be hard to make a stock out of it. And GJZ, I bred and raised horses for years. And I do prefer Clydesdales and Belgiums to narrow headed, skidish Thoroughbreds. But they were the preferred horse of most of the women at the barns where I boarded. Think there's a relationship here? Good luck guys. Nuff said.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Jimmy,

Do make up your mind. First you say some guns you have with splinter forends are
"worthless" and all of a sudden they are worth twelve grand! I am not willing to go
squatting around just for the sake of it.

As far as riding goes, I would much rather mount a "skinny" arabian mare than have
to squat on a Clydesdale or Belgian work horse.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought I could sit this one out. Ha!

Logically, splinter forearms are a throwback, and were designed merely to retain the barrels (muzzleloader) or contain the forearm iron (breaktops). If the idea really was to minimze the weight or put the hands close to the barrel, forearms would have been eliminated. Nowadays, splinters are preferred by many just out of hidebound conservatism. Why else would a Model 12 be disallowed on a driven shoot? It spoils the flavor of the day.

All that aside, straight grips, splinter forearms, and double triggers are slick and fun in a minimalist way. It's like the old saw about a sports car being the least amount of machinery on four wheels necessary to move one quickly and securely between two points

As to shooting qualities, I seriously doubt that most people could tell much of a difference in hitting ability betweeen straight/splinter and pistol/beaver configurations. However, if side-by-sides were all that existed in the world and records were being kept of all scores, I suspect the pistol grip and beavertai configuration would come to the front for the better control it offers.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

No, JayCee, Arabs are too dicey and choppy to ride. I prefered Walking and Racking horses and quarter horses. And I feel guns with splinter forearms are worthless but I can't give them away after I bought them. But, I hope that you guys know I am just pulling your chains here. I wouldn't seriously resort to name calling because someone liked a different than I. But in the past discussions on this topic have been a bit heated just like this. So, if I really insulted anyone, I do apologize. But I still hate skimpy little splinter forearms with a passion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jimmy W
No thanks. I already have a Baikal..... I don't know what you are trying to say, keith. Poison Ivy is not a tree. It's an ivy. So, it would be hard to make a stock out of it.
Was just being facetious Jimmy, however, poison ivy has several different forms from a weed only inches high to woody vines that commonly grow 50 or more feet up into large trees. Several growing in large trees near my creek are over three inches in diameter at ground level.... more than enough for a very irritating splinter, or even a beavertail. The woody vines contain urushiol which is the same dermatitis causing oil as in the leaves. I have learned the hard way that cutting the vines with a chain saw throws chips that will cause the usual itching rash. Supposedly burning these vines can carry the urushiol in the smoke and cause a rash or even more serious irritation in the lungs if you breathe the smoke. Also, I understand your buying of splinter forend guns. I have bought guns I didn't like when they were too cheap to pass up. I then traded or sold them to get something I did like.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
By the way, all my splinter forends are made out of poison ivy wood and are inset with broken glass and dirty hypodermic needles in lieu of checkering.

I know that stockmaker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy, did you have to stand on a chair when you bred those horses? Sorry . . . couldn't resist.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy, always thought this was just banter.

Best,

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.