April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (NCTarheel, buckstix, ClapperZapper, CJF, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 1,005 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,185
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Somehwat interesting thread I saw the other day, which brought up this oft-discussed topic again. It seems this comes up frequently, but I have yet to get an answer that made sense to me without it immediately being contradicted by something that also seemed to have some logic behind it. Here's the most recent topic:
UJ pressure vs recoil thread

now, in the above case, it was brought about by a topic on chamber length. I'm NOT wondering about chamber length. I am wondering what exactly the effects of higher pressure are on a gun, independant of recoil; and also what the effects of higher recoil are in a gun independant of pressure. I have recieved contradictory advice from different doublegun smiths on the same shotgun before--one saying that just about any reasonalbe payload was fine so long as the pressure was low, and the other saying that any reasonable pressure was fine so long as the recoil was low...and then of course on the good 'ol intranets you get all sorts of technical information from people who seem like they know a little about a lot of things, and I have a hard time separating them from whose who are genuinely knowlegable. I'm sure this thread could become the same way...but in this case what I'm wondering is if there are any peer-reviewed references out there where a curious lad like myself could read up on this (without requiring a phd hopefully)? I'm hoping to find something that can explain in somewhat concrete terms what exactly the real affects of both pressure and recoil are on the various parts of a gun, what the consequences are of varying levels of each, what the thought process is behind the various standards, some info on proof testing of guns and its purpose, etc. I tried accessing some of the publications on the SAAMI website but they repeatedly froze my computer. Is there an equivalent CIP website or reference that I might look for? I know of a couple books already that I'll look for, but what are the key ones? Other info? Is there a "Bat-signal" that Sherman Bell responds to?
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by David Furman; 08/05/09 08:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Furman
--one saying that just about any reasonable payload was fine so long as the pressure was low,

I'd have to agree with the above...no concrete evidence, it just makes the most sense.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What most of us perceive a "recoil" is a result of the spike that occurs. Basically, felt recoil is measured by the peak measurement desribed by force against your shoulder. Essentially, it's the differnece between a gentle push against your shoulder, versus a punch. Both have that same total energy, but one feels more comfortable. All other things being equal, that's why a load with slow burning powder will feel less "pushy",and today's promotional loads which generate more pressure, and therefore higher recoil and worse patterns

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pressure blows apart barrels, recoil breaks stocks. That is if you talking only the effect on the gun. If you can afford to replace stocks don't worry about recoil. Loosing your fingers or eyes is a different thing all together, of course. All depends on what gun your talking about? Remington 870 - no worries, unless your have mud in the bore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SAAMI 1931

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of things must be understood. Pressure & Recoil are not directly related in the way many assume. Heavy recoil can be generated with low pressure & High pressure may generate low recoil.
Ben-T pretty well has it summed up. Pressure is of concern primarily to the chamber of the gun,ie wall thickness in that area. Frame flexing, stock cracking etc are all dependant on the recoil.
Charge wt and/or velocity determine recoil. Powder burn rate vs charge wt determine pressure.
Incidently there are dangers involved with pressures being either Too high or "Too Low". Any gun I do not feel comfortable using loads of up to 8K psi, I hang on the wall.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
A couple of things must be understood. Pressure & Recoil are not directly related in the way many assume. Heavy recoil can be generated with low pressure & High pressure may generate low recoil. Agree.

Ben-T pretty well has it summed up. Pressure is of concern primarily to the chamber of the gun,ie wall thickness in that area. Frame flexing, stock cracking etc are all dependant on the recoil. Part disagree. Frame flex, locking bolt/locking slot strain, and hinge pin/hook strain are pressure issues. High pressure will, at best, accelerate wear to these parts, and, at worst, deform or break them. High enough pressure can burst or bulge the chamber or barrel tubes. But it is far more usual to have an obstruction bulge or dent to a thin barrel. Pits, overdone bore honing or overdone external striking can make a barrel too thin. The usual issue is not being able to measure wall thickness in the joined areas.

Charge wt and/or velocity determine recoil. Powder burn rate vs charge wt determine pressure. Agree
Incidently there are dangers involved with pressures being either Too high or "Too Low". Any gun I do not feel comfortable using loads of up to 8K psi, I hang on the wall. True and I agree.

Does that help and do you have remaining questions.

Last edited by Rocketman; 08/06/09 12:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad someone brought up this discussion over here. The main issue in the discussion over on UJ is whether overpressure (for example, using modern American factory loads in either American or foreign guns, made with shorter chambers and proofed at lower than current standards, and designed for lower service pressure) will accelerate wear--as in causing a gun to shoot loose (off face) sooner? I contend that pressure is the primary issue here, not recoil.

Rocketman, I'm having trouble matching up your "quote" with 2 Piper's post just above it. Looks like either he edited his original post, deleting comments about accelerated wear to metal parts, or else that was your addition to his post and somehow got included in the quote.

Having followed a lot of these discussions on this BB for a number of years, it seems to me that the consensus has always been: pressure can cause catastrophic failures and accelerate wear of metal parts; recoil mainly impacts the stock (and the shooter).

Last edited by L. Brown; 08/06/09 10:33 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ben-t
Pressure blows apart barrels, recoil breaks stocks. That is if you talking only the effect on the gun. If you can afford to replace stocks don't worry about recoil. Loosing your fingers or eyes is a different thing all together, of course. All depends on what gun your talking about? Remington 870 - no worries, unless your have mud in the bore.

Ben-T and Rocketman I appreciate the brevity of your responses and totally agree with your statement but by extension could we also say that since we are discussing the effects of heavy recoil on a double gun that excessive recoil induces additional wear on the barrel lug, hinge pin, under bites and other locking mechanisms and prematurely wears or cause damage to these parts in addition to breaking stocks?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pressure

Recoil

Pete

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.