May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (AGS, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 264 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,712
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: TwiceBarrel
Perhaps the 1940 shooters bible did publish an average or target weight most probably based on input from Savage's marketing peopel and we all know how accurate/honest they can be now don't we. But Mr. Brown you are dead wrong in your statement that the barrel weight stamped on the barrels will determine the final finished weight it is an indicator but nothing more.

You suppose those folks at Savage (and Fox before them) spent any time trying to balance those guns before they sold them, TB? I do. If they didn't do that, they would have been putting out some guns with some very unusual (read undesireable) handling characteristics--like the balance point out close to the forend, if you have really long, heavy barrels matched up to a really light piece of stock wood. Somehow, I don't think that would've been real good for their reputation.

Here's a little experiment for you to conduct: Get yourself a good scale (like electronic postal) and a handful of doubles, preferably as they came from the factory. I just did that (although 2 of mine have pads), and here's what I found: the greatest difference between the weight of the barrels and forend, together, and the stock and receiver was . . . 4 ounces. In one case, less than an ounce difference between the two. Now if you consider that Fox had 12 ounces difference to work with, at any given barrel length between heaviest and lightest, I'd say barrel weight is a whole lot more than an "indicator" of final weight--because if Mr. Smith wants his 28" Sterlingworth to weigh as close to 7# as possible, it's a dead certainty Fox/Savage would not slap heavy #1 (4/2) or #2 (3/14) barrels on that gun; highly unlikely even #3, at 3/10. And yes, I know wood density will always cause variations of 2 or 3 ounces one way or the other . . . but don't you suppose those guys could find a stock and forend that would match up nicely with Smith's desires--and yes, one could order a Sterlingworth just like one could order a graded Fox--and, together with those barrels weighing 3/4, give him something awfully close to 7#? And would you think, even in a gun that's not special ordered, even shipped to Acme Hardware, those guys at Fox would take a set of 4# 28" barrels, slap on a forend . . . and then mate it up with a 3 1/2# stock/receiver? Sterlingworths (and Trojans, and Ithaca and Elsie Fields) may have been the "knockabout" guns made by those companies, but they did not do stupid stuff like turn out guns with godawful balance. So you give me the overall weight of a Fox as it came from the factory, tell me if it's splinter or beavertail and whether it has ejectors or not, and if you give me the length of the barrels, I'll tell you what # they are. Could possibly be off one number, either high or low (maybe someone cleaned out pits, opened chokes, etc), but I think it's that good of an "indicator".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I finally went to the Upland Journal thread that inspired this one. Larry Brown's argument there jogged loose all the schlerotic buildup of Newtonian commonplace, accepted expression, received wisdom, and cant which tends to clog up little brains like mine. Maybe the argument about the history of SAAMI pressure standards is cohesive and easier to follow there where less standpatter ire and less point by point special pleading are in evidence.

I took for granted that service pressure ceilings are adopted to protect gun and shooter from catastrophic failure and nothing more. Time to look once again at the product of better minds than my own. Many thanks also to Rocket and Pipes, who, if I'm not mistaken, can swallow the words "imparts energy" (backthrust) without wretching.

I'm currently stuck on how one would establish a formula for proportionality between chamber pressure and threshold and rate of battering damage? Is onset of perceivable cumulative damage to the closing and locking components of a break action gun only related to an either/or of recommended acceptable pressure vs. over-pressure? What role does the "rule of 96" play in damping interface battering as well as "unitized" recoil? Should it have changed at some historical point to a Rule of 96 and then some? Arguments here about weight of target guns indicate that it has. Is "high-pressure" lube really more of a necessity in the mechanical interfaces of these old guns than some of us (me) have thought?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Of course, I'm still thinking about this business of when a quantified pressure from one source in one situation is not the same pressure from another source in another situation, as per 2-pipes below:

Quote:
To go back to basics as you say R'Man I think you would find if you placed a hydraulic piston hooked to the hinge pin with its ram pushing against the standing breech, centered on the firing pin hole & having same bore as the internals of the case & pumped up the pressure equal to that developed by firing a standard shell with proper gauges hooked up to measure deflection of breech, hinge pin or any other critical part, you would find the deflection greater than firing the shell which produced identical "Peak" pressure. Now this will be because the peak falls away before its full effect can act upon the breech.

Lot to take in here!!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rabbit
Of course, I'm still thinking about this business of when a quantified pressure from one source in one situation is not the same pressure from another source in another situation, as per 2-pipes below:

Quote:
To go back to basics as you say R'Man I think you would find if you placed a hydraulic piston hooked to the hinge pin with its ram pushing against the standing breech, centered on the firing pin hole & having same bore as the internals of the case & pumped up the pressure equal to that developed by firing a standard shell with proper gauges hooked up to measure deflection of breech, hinge pin or any other critical part, you would find the deflection greater than firing the shell which produced identical "Peak" pressure. Now this will be because the peak falls away before its full effect can act upon the breech.

Lot to take in here!!

jack

Good to see ya rumminatin', rabbit. A rumminatin' rabbit --- worth ponerin' on its own merit. Do note that I disagree with 2-p on the above, believing that the force transmission through the steel takes place in very small amounts of time; way, way fast enough to keep up with the chamber pressure changes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
#3 I am in total agrement that under your scenario of plugging the bbl while recoil would be stopped the thrust against the gun would not only not be stopped, but rather increased. Agree, but I doubt increased.

R'Man; now just think about this one a minute, in this scenario you would obtain closed cell pressures. Certainly this would give higher pressure than an ordinary firing of the load.

Quote:
#5 I am totally convinced that a 1oz 1200 fps load @ 10k psi will not load the gun as much as a 1¼oz 1330fps load @ 9k psi. This one is tricky. Where does the recoil force actually start? With the barrels? If so, then the rearward force of the barrels will unload the hook and hinge pin joint.

I can see no place for the recoil to start other than from the energy imparted to the standing breech from the back thrust of the shell head. The friction of the charge being pushed down the bore would in fact impart a forward motion to the bbls, but a lesser force than is being imparted to the breech. Many years ago in my National Guard days I fird a 3.5 Rocket Launcher & there was in fact a distinct forward pull as the rocket went down the tube, which of course was totally open to the rear. This same condition should exist in the shotgun bbl, but of course is un-feelable due to the offsetting effect upon the gun's breech. Thus when the charge is fired there are actually opposing forces trying to seperate the breech from the bbls.

Now I do believe we are mostly in agreement, with the exception of the part time plays in the mix. In looking at the peak pressure in available pressure curve drawings with the faster powders this peak is a virtual point, but with slower powders more of a rounded hump. Now I think we all know this peak of pressure will not compress a lead piston to the same extent it would be by a static load of the same pressure, thus LUP is lower than PE pressures from an identical load. Now the only real difference I can see here is the steel of the action is being placed under tension rather than compression.
If a 1200 fps load was given absolute uniform accelration & allowing for 29" of travel to clear the bbl then total bbl time would be .004 sec. Since acceleration occurs quicker near the breech actual time is more on the order of .003 sec. Now the top of that pressure peak is just a "Dot" on that 29" curve.
Yes I believe time does play a very important role in this situation. If it did not I do believe you would find a very large pile of destroyed guns, but you don't. If you calculate aformulas for strength of steels vs wall thicknesses, hinge pin shear, frame deflections etc, etc you will find many running on the Ragged edge, or over, yet they just keep on keeping on with loads far heavier than they were designed for.
While just a machinist & not an engineer I have studied everything I could come up with on this & similar subjects for about the last 40 years. I have come up with no other satisfactory explanation.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also remember firing a 90mm Recoiless a couple times and having the impression that the tube wanted to go down range. Plastic in the bores of my new old Merkel 200e indicate that the friction of the wad is REALLY trying to drag these barrels downrange.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just so your loader wasn't standing behind that 90MM when you fired it, Jack. I fired one of the old 3.5's; they gave us a nice demonstration beforehand on what the back blast would do to one of the wooden cases the rockets came in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Quote:
#3 I am in total agrement that under your scenario of plugging the bbl while recoil would be stopped the thrust against the gun would not only not be stopped, but rather increased. Agree, but I doubt increased.

R'Man; now just think about this one a minute, in this scenario you would obtain closed cell pressures. Certainly this would give higher pressure than an ordinary firing of the load. OK, differing assumptions. I was assuming firing a shell loaded to the same end pressure in the closed cell as the peak pressure of the shell in an open barrel.

Quote:
#5 I am totally convinced that a 1oz 1200 fps load @ 10k psi will not load the gun as much as a 1¼oz 1330fps load @ 9k psi. This one is tricky. Where does the recoil force actually start? With the barrels? If so, then the rearward force of the barrels will unload the hook and hinge pin joint.

I can see no place for the recoil to start other than from the energy imparted to the standing breech from the back thrust of the shell head. The friction of the charge being pushed down the bore would in fact impart a forward motion to the bbls, but a lesser force than is being imparted to the breech. Many years ago in my National Guard days I fird a 3.5 Rocket Launcher & there was in fact a distinct forward pull as the rocket went down the tube, which of course was totally open to the rear. This same condition should exist in the shotgun bbl, but of course is un-feelable due to the offsetting effect upon the gun's breech. Thus when the charge is fired there are actually opposing forces trying to seperate the breech from the bbls. Excellent example, thank you. If we accept this line of reasoning, and it does seem logical, the recoil reaction starts at the fences. Would there be any logic in the recoil forces transmitting into the action bar as opposed to straight back into the stock? Seems more logical to go to the stock and imagine the action bar and locking joints keeping the action shut against the opening moment (opening torque) of back-thrust above the hook/pin center line.

Now I do believe we are mostly in agreement, with the exception of the part time plays in the mix. In looking at the peak pressure in available pressure curve drawings with the faster powders this peak is a virtual point, but with slower powders more of a rounded hump. Now I think we all know this peak of pressure will not compress a lead piston to the same extent it would be by a static load of the same pressure, thus LUP is lower than PE pressures from an identical load. Now the only real difference I can see here is the steel of the action is being placed under tension rather than compression. I see a bit of a problem in the analogy. First, force can transmit within the PE crystal fast enough to easily detect fast powder peak pressures. Steel is crystaline in nature and would transmit forces at speeds similar to the PE crystal sensor. BTW, for anyone not clear on force transmission rate, the issue is how long would it take for a sensor on the end of a mile long steel rod to know the other end got whacked by a hammer? Air transmits force at the speed of sound, Mach 1, about 750 mph (1125 fps), about 5 seconds per mile. Steel, being much less compressible than air, transmits force (sound is a pressure wave) much faster. The lead crusher system has the delay of a large movement, relatively speaking, of the crusher piston plus the inertia of that piston.

If a 1200 fps load was given absolute uniform accelration & allowing for 29" of travel to clear the bbl then total bbl time would be .004 sec. Since acceleration occurs quicker near the breech actual time is more on the order of .003 sec. Now the top of that pressure peak is just a "Dot" on that 29" curve. Yet, the forces transmit and compress the PE sensor fast enough to easily detect said "dot." Lets say that the "dot" occured within the first one ten thousandeth of a second after firing ignition and that there was three inches of steel between the face and the stock head. A transmission rate of 2500 fps would tell the stock head about the "dot" within another 0.0001 seconds. 2500 fps is just a tad more than double sonic velocity of air and way slow compared to steel. "Knowledge" of firing forces within the action steel will happen way faster than the pressure curve changes as I see it.

Yes I believe time does play a very important role in this situation. If it did not I do believe you would find a very large pile of destroyed guns, but you don't. If you calculate aformulas for strength of steels vs wall thicknesses, hinge pin shear, frame deflections etc, etc you will find many running on the Ragged edge, or over, yet they just keep on keeping on with loads far heavier than they were designed for.
Could you cite an example of this, please?

While just a machinist (don't you start that "just a machinist" stuff, you are one of the smartest, best informed, and most logicial guys I know) & not an engineer (that line of education does offer a jump-start in some areas of knowledge and reasoning, but is not the end-all/trump card in discussions such as this; it counts only if understandable points are made for all to consider) I have studied everything I could come up with on this & similar subjects for about the last 40 years. I have come up with no other satisfactory explanation. Please comment on the above points. Good discussion!

Last edited by Rocketman; 08/12/09 09:03 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman or 2-piper, Would either of you please answer rabbit's question about the high pressure lube for older guns. My gunsmith had treated special lubes with scorn,reading this thread has me questioning a man I never doubted.
And, are there any words to live by coming out of this discourse. At what point will loads damage our vintage guns or at least hasten their wear? Thanks,Justin

Sidelock
Sidelock

justin, I use Mobil #28 grease on hinge pin/hook, bolts/bites, lump sides, exposed lever work, and FA attach mechanism. Apply sparingly, clean, and refresh after each shooting session. "Clean" is likely as important as characteristics of the lube. I'd shoot with recent application of 3 in 1 Oil without qualms, but not after extended storage and no refresh. Oil is fine for short times, but wax and grease are better for long term. Modern, high pressure lubes are cheap and available, so why not use them. If I were Mr. Gunmaker Smith, I'd probably use Vasoline to limit my personal skin exposure to trace elements that might be in more exotic lubes, but I don't worry about that with occasional, shooter type handling.

I keep my loads to less than 7500 psi and usually shoot 7/8 oz (12 bore). There is no "point" of sudden sear increase - think a curve (it takes something pretty severe to blow-up a gun unless it has a seriously weak spot) only the more you strain 'em the faster they wear. Also, being on the --- ahemmmm, well, OK, call what it is, cheap side, I like to save powder, lead and gun wear by shooting light, low pressure loads. I do not see, speaking of me, load performance issues near as much as I see shooter issues.

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.