April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,035 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
lagopus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wish that I could always find them in this condition. This is a George Fuller, London made shotgun circa 1874. I can date it fairly accurately as it has an 1873 patent forend and pre 1875 proof marks. George Fuller died in around 1880. Most of his guns were muzzle loaders. The inscription on the top rib of this gun reads as follows: 'George Fuller Maker to H.R.H. The Late Prince Consort 3, Waterloo Road Late of 280, Strand London'. The inscription takes over one third of the length of the top rib. Apart from having been nitro proofed at a later date, this gun is more or less as it left Fuller's shop.

George Fuller was a well respected member of the London gun trade and I think that this gun is the equal of anything being turned out by the best Makers of that period. I shoot this gun occasionaly and it is a pleasure to use.

I know someone who is researching guns made by this Maker and would welcome details of any other guns out there. If you have a Fuller gun and would like to share information about it I would gladly pass your information on. Thanks. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Isn't it funny how some guns just exude class. There is nothing different about that Fuller. Same locks , same engraving, same fastenening system etc, but I think it's the entire "architecture" of that gun that gives it so much class. The shape of the comb, the wood choice [not too much, or not too little figure] and of course the original condition. Congrat's on that gun. The rib inscription is so interesting, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus: I have a George Fuller 12 bore in much the same contition as your gun except mine has a FULL CROSSOVER STOCK. It is truly a gorgeous piece of a Best London Gunmaker's craftmanship. Both back-action locks as well as the top & bottom tang are curved with the bend in the wrist. The serial number of mine is 899. The inscription on the top rib reads: "GEORGE FULLER MAKER TO H.R.H. THE LATE PRINCE CONSORT, 280 STRAND, LONDON". I don't know how to post pictures here but you can see some on my web site at http://www.mylandco.com Select "Other Sale Items" for guns, etc. Scroll down until you see the George Fuller & click it on for several pictures & a full description. I would be very interested in what your friend turns up on this maker.

Best Regards, George Lander
palmettotreasure@aol.com
Telephone (803) 359-3351

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
lagopus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

George, I saw this gun being offered for sale. I informed the person who would be interested, a chap called Peter McGowan. If he hasn't already been in touch I can put you both together via e-mail. That particular gun interested me as 899 was my old service number which I carried for 30 years. The workmanship that went into the locks to fit that crossover stock showed the work of a real master. Peter has done a lot of research on Fuller. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the things that always amazes me when viewing a high quality gun that's well over 100 years old is that the wood to metal fit is often still tight. This gun is a good example and if one didn't know better it almost looks like it was inletted yesterday. IMO; We've had some nice older examples pop up recently so lets keep them coming!!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Daryl. The guns shows great workmanship and classic "lines." Nice find!

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Formerly in my collection was George Fuller gun #245. This particular gun was a 12G M.L converted to P.F.The address on this gun was 10 Wardour Street,Soho,London.The address dates the gun at 1845.This gun was converted to breech loader utilizing a Jones type underlever. The locks and furniture on this gun were of superb quality.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus: Please send me Peter's e-mail. I have always admired that which I did not have the talent or patience to do myself, as in the case of the GF with crossover stock. To imagine that it was done over 100 years ago is simply incredible. Where in the U.K. are you? My mother was from Eastbourne.

Best Regards, George
palmettotreasure@aol.com

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Isn't it funny how some guns just exude class. There is nothing different about that Fuller. Same locks , same engraving, same fastenening system etc, but I think it's the entire "architecture" of that gun that gives it so much class. The shape of the comb, the wood choice [not too much, or not too little figure] and of course the original condition. Congrat's on that gun. The rib inscription is so interesting, too.

Well said.

Sidelock
Sidelock

George's Fuller

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.