April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (eightbore, SKB), 363 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,087
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#189257 05/18/10 02:08 PM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'd like to try my hand at making a trapdoor buttplate like this one

I've got stock, and one of those Brownell's copies of a Model 70 style buttplate,
but I don't have a good idea of a latching mechanism, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doc, the pictured door looks like it came from a US military rifle of some sort; Krag, 1903 or 1917. The original hinge boss can be attached to the inside of the buttplate by welding or silver-solder, and the spring-loaded closure can be obtained by either an adaptation of the original GI leaf spring or else a coil spring in a blind hole with steel cap to bear against the hinge. The inside butt of the hinge has a right-angle heel to hold it securely in both the closed as well as the open position. Taper the door seat to obtain a flush fit like the original GI one. A really nice touch would be to actually checker the door to match the plate but it would be difficult to say the least.

I've obtained some blank oval door castings (doors only) sized for the old Albright trap butts, checkered but not drilled for the hinge yet. If you'd care to try one of them, I'd be happy to gift you if you'll pay the postage. It's about 2" long by 3/4" wide, approximately the same size as the old Mann-Scho doors but not curved quite as much. The opening is just right for the slide of a Lyman 48....
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe if you could spare another one/ It would be deeply appreciated. Whitey

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Joe, that is a very generous offer, I will gladly take you up on that. I will send you a pm.

Fred

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whitey, I have your snail addy so yours will be on the way tomorrow. Doc, yours will be awaiting your addy info and good luck with your efforts. I really like these trap door items and will be glad to help anyone in any way I can, I have several more of these doors.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Joe. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be great if someone could offer modified M70 buttplates with traps in them. The pre64 buttplate, IMO, is about as popular on custom rifles as the Niedner and of course there are hundreds of thousands of Winchesters, not just 70s, that use this buttplate. I for one would cheerfully chop a big hole into the butt of a stock 70 to have a place to hide a sight slide. And when the time comes to sell the rifle, just put a regular plate back on it and pass off the hole, if ever found, as a lightening cut.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,

I'm putting together parts for a Rem M30 custom in .35 Whelen and have been mulling over what to do with the Lyman 48 Slide. If you can spare one more oval door casting?

thanks,

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll check this AM, Rob, I'm pretty sure I have several more. Regards, Joe

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Joe,

I hope that you got my PM's, thank you for your suggestions on
the latch mechanisms. I am looking forward to playing around.
I've been accumulating, buttplates and stocks and actions, and
now I have some time to work on things. I agree that that round trapdoor
would look better checkered, but if the checkering pattern didn't have the
right spacing and wasn't aligned with the pattern on the buttplate it might
not look so good. I think that while the piece of round stock is in the lathe,
I might try and cut a border around the edge. That circular expanse might
not be a bad place for initials to be engraved

Fred

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.