Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I picked up an interesting combination gun today, built by Simson, Suhl, for Ewald Tuckmantel of Varel. There are two original sets of barrels, each with its own fore end, all parts bear the same serial number and all major assemblies bear the Simson logo. One set of barrels is S x S shotgun, 16 gauge, 2 ½” x 16 gauge, 2 ½”, 28 3/8” long.

The second set of barrels is a Cape gun configuration, 8 x 57 JR x 16 gauge, 2 ½”, 26 7/8” long. These barrels have a silver bead front and single leaf rear sight. They also have scope bases built in that I am not familiar with. The forward of the two bases is stamped:

Krieghoff Montage
Sempert & Krieghoff Suhl.

I am attaching a few photos and hope that someone here may be able to tell me about the ring assembly that fits these bases and if and where such an assembly might be found. I’ve checked my Recknagel catalogue but see no likely “Suspects”.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ron,
This is a prewar Krieghoff mount and not easy to find now. I would monitor German eGun auctions but it may take quite some time to find pertinent rings (I sent a picture directly to you). Good luck.
With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jani,

Thanks again for the photo. Do you know what these rings are called in German? Even if I figure out how to access German egun auctions, I'm not sure whether I'd know what was being described for sale since my German vocabulary is limited to about 20 words. I'd assume that there is only one configuration for these bases. The problem might be with the rings, given the German habit of mounting the front ring on the objective bell of the scope, and there being about 50 different diameters of those. Also, as you are well aware, sometimes the early European rings were soldered right to the steel scope tube. What I need to find is a set where both rings are clamp-on 1"/26mm.
Best,
Ron.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ron,

Call New England Custom Guns. They might be able to help.
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ron,
I'm not sure what search word would I use except obviously Krieghoff; mount is Montage. When I need a vintage mount I try to find an old scope with such a mount, or a complete gun even. As an example, I needed the EAW twin-lever side mount recently (new cost 420 euros). I found a Winchester M94 with such a mount for less than the price of the mount, sold the gun and kept the mount for almost free - except a lot of my search time. I would look for a prewar Krieghoff drilling in bad condition (heavily pitted bores, etc.), took the rings or whatever I needed and sold the rest. BTW eBay might also be an option. -Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

they been in this business for over 100 ... components....

ps. i would shoot it first to see if it's worth scoping.

Last edited by Jagermeister; 05/29/10 09:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a drilling with the same base. Kreighoff USA does not carry the mount. I got a set of mounts from AKAH in Germany that would mount a german rail mount scope on this base. The AKAH folks were very helpful. I emailed dimensions and they sent a mount that only needed minor fitting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vol423,
An excellent solution.
With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jagermeister,
I took the gun to the range today. Here are 3 shots, fired at 50 yards with iron sights. I'd say that this one is worth scoping if I can find a pair of rings that will work.

Last edited by Ron Vella; 05/31/10 10:57 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

yes, it's well worth scoping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.