May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, SKB, canvasback, LRF, 1 invisible), 397 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts545,993
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Lorne #198128 08/04/10 06:44 AM
SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the responses. I'll try to find a gunsmith to take a look at it for added insurance. Quite limited to availability around here. My intent if hunted would be firing 2-1/2 dram, 1 oz. loads.

775 #198135 08/04/10 08:04 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 775
.03" does NOT seem likely to be "OK" to me at 3" from the breech...unless he is your brother-in-law.....
Not really familiar with ML but even the chart would seem to indicate very bad situation?

Best,
Mark

The accepted minimum is .02.

His .03 is 3" from the muzzle. Most muzzle loaders have 30" to 32" barrels, so that is 27" or 29" from the breech.

Pete

PeteM #198157 08/04/10 11:15 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would be far more concerned with the condition of the metal including thickness in the first 14" to 16" from the breech as this is the area where they tend to let go. Even with thickness being acceptable you're still in a crap shoot IMO because you can't easily tell what lurks below the surface and this is particularly critical when it comes to damascus. You are essentially relying on the fact that the barrel forger didn't leave any large voids during manufacture that have been rusting internally for the past hundred years.
The barrel diagram and pressure curves provided above are a stark reminder that even 100 years ago the makers knew that condition and thickness in this area was critical.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree...thickness at muzzle would be least of my worries.

Ms. Raven
775 #198160 08/04/10 11:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Much as we all enjoy shooting our old guns, I think a lot more of our collectible guns should probably be 'hung up' for future generations of collectors to enjoy. Oh well, likely they'll all be taken up by the Government one day anyhow; might as well use'em up while we are able...Geo

Lorne #198169 08/04/10 02:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure would like to see photos of the gun, especially good closeups around the breech area.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I HAVE A SCOTTISH SINGLE BARREL VERY SIMILAR, AND USE 2 1/2 DR. 2 F AND 1 OZ SHOT. IT FEELS LIKE THE APPROPRIATE LOAD AND PATTERNS WELL. I AM GOING TO SHOOT DOVE WITH IT NEXT MONTH.
UNLESS THE BARRELS ARE ROUGH, WHICH I DOUBT, I WOULD JUST SHOOT IT AND ENJOY IT AND DONT GET TOO ANALYLITICAL.iF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER PROOF IT WITH 3 1/4 DR. 2F. ALL IMO OF COURSE. [img:left][/img]

Last edited by Stallones; 08/04/10 03:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
I had a Manton 10/9 bore ML, it had been honed out perhaps several times and was very thin by the muzzels. I shot it with 3 dram/1.125 ounce 12 gauge loads (and "safety tested" both barrels with a 6 dram load in each barrel) and it did just fine. If it's a percussion gun it should work great on grouse, if a flintlock not so good. I say this because of the lag time between pulling the trigger and the gun going bang.
Steve

I agree with the folks who advise having the gun thoroughly checked and measured. Then, the advice to fire it with some heavy black powder loads to "proof" it will give added assurance that it won't blow up in your face. Of course, the heavy loads should be fired with the gun tied to a tire and a long string on the trigger. I would mark and measure a few spots along the barrels, and measure again after firing to check for any slight bulging that might not be apparent to a visual inspection. There's been quite a range of dram equiv. loads recommended to do this testing, so I would do a little more research as to what might constitute a black powder "proof" load in 14 ga.

Naturally, just as if you sent the gun to Britain for proof testing, it could fail and you could be left with something not fit to hang on the wall.

As to the lag time encountered when shooting a flintlock vs. a percussion gun... this is both truthful and fallacious. Truthful because this is what many folks actually experience when loading their flinters. Fallacy because a properly loaded flintlock with a good flint, good frizzen, clean and properly sized vent, dry powder and priming, and the correct amount of priming will fire almost as quickly as a percussion or breech loading gun. The difference could only be measured by a few milliseconds. When I fire my flintlocks, if there is ANY discernable delay, I know I have done something wrong. A dirty vent or too much priming are the usual suspects. When you can accept that there will be some misses caused by your loading technique, the shots that connect will be more satisfying than those you would make with a breechloader. Not knowing if the damn thing will even go off is part of the fun and sport of muzzleloading.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Stallones however, when I "safey tested" my Manton I used 6 drams because that would have simulated a worst case scenario, that I had accidentally loaded two 3 dram powder charges into one barrel. It's a surprizingly easy mistake to make, in fact I did it once with another sxs ML. Fortunately, I tried to fire the barrel without any charge first.
BTW if you're going to use the gun you might want to invest in a wad puller (I forget the exact name) it's basically a small corkscrew that attaches to the end of your ram rod that you can use to unload your gun. You can find them in the Dixie Gunworks catalogue.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not having any luck finding a Gunsmith with a Bore Scope. I live in N. Cen. PA. Know anyone?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.