Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
SIXSKB #198188 08/04/10 06:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wad puller is called a "worm."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rockdoc's safety test using a double charge is very sensible since that possibility does exist if you are not careful when loading. Loading two barrels compounds the possibility of a double charge screw-up.

One way to avoid this is to scribe a line on your ramrod even with the muzzles once you have established a load. Then make a habit of quickly checking that you are very close to that line every time you ram a load. Anything short or long of your mark means it's time to pull that load with your worm.

Don't do as a friend of mine did, and leave your ramrod in the bore. Nice guy that I am, I stopped him before he sent it downrange. Now there's a little added ejecta to increase breech pressure.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stallones
I HAVE A SCOTTISH SINGLE BARREL VERY SIMILAR, AND USE 2 1/2 DR. 2 F AND 1 OZ SHOT. IT FEELS LIKE THE APPROPRIATE LOAD AND PATTERNS WELL. I AM GOING TO SHOOT DOVE WITH IT NEXT MONTH.
UNLESS THE BARRELS ARE ROUGH, WHICH I DOUBT, I WOULD JUST SHOOT IT AND ENJOY IT AND DONT GET TOO ANALYLITICAL.iF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER PROOF IT WITH 3 1/4 DR. 2F. ALL IMO OF COURSE.

Amen, Leighton. I've shot these guns for over half century and wouldn't hesitate to follow your suggestion.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Lorne #198258 08/05/10 07:11 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Being the easily distracted person that I am, I shot my rod down range once too blush!

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Removed the locks today; look like the day they left the gunmaker 150+ years ago. Removing the barrels is another matter. Barrel wedge doesn't loosen anything. Looks like it should be hinged but must be all one unit and I'll need to remove the tang screw. Somewhat leary because of the wood to metal fit, can't see any lines anywhere, on any of the wood to metal jointing.

SIXSKB #198804 08/10/10 12:30 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: SIXSKB
Barrel wedge doesn't loosen anything. Looks like it should be hinged but must be all one unit and I'll need to remove the tang screw. Somewhat leary because of the wood to metal fit, can't see any lines anywhere, on any of the wood to metal jointing.

This is curious. I cannot recall seeing a percussion half-stock of any sort with a wedge, where the barrel/s was/were not of the hooked-breech configuration, separating from the standing breech. Is it possible they have been stuck together by oxidized oil or some such? Have you succeeded in dismounting them?

Regards,
Joel

Last edited by Joel.V; 08/10/10 12:31 PM.
Joel.V #198806 08/10/10 12:51 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

SIXSKB-Sounds like a nice gun. If it has survived this long in the condition you describe, I suggest you let a GOOD, experianced 'smith do any more disassembly. It's real easy to wreck screws and wood to metal fit if you are not used to that sort of work. Maybe you know what you are doing but, what's the rush? There is someone out there to take that gun to for cleaning and evaluation. You just need to find him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen guns with wedges that did not have a hooked breech.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.