May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (LRF, Chantry), 313 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,538
Posts546,035
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On a Wyoming antelope hunt 2 weeks ago, All of the hunters except me, had laser range finders, adjustable (many) shooting sticks and one guy had a laser range setting scope! Went like this. Spot antelope. Range it, fuss with sticks, antelope moves, range antelope, fuss with sticks and on and on. On our elk hunt this week, MY BOY spots big cow lying down at about 80 yards. Feels he has to change the power on his scope (why?) Misses cow. Fortunately it came down to Dad, who has fixed power scope on the old .416 and kills it DEAD. For years,as many of you know, Diane and I ran a B&B for Bird hunters here in NW kansas. Many of our Hunters had (you guessed it) choke tubes in their guns. Scenario: Go to the field, first rooster flushes at 40 yards. Hunter misses, changes to full choke. 2nd rooster flushes at 6 yards, hunter misses, changes to IC...see where I'm going? Whatever happened to thinking, I can make that shot, or best let him get a ways out, or no thats too far let em go...Dad said "take the shot ya got". Many of our hunters today try to overpower the problem with technology, rather than learning the basic skills. NO Im not loaning my .416 to my boy...Nebraska bird season opens Saturday, ours the next .life is good...AND the elk meat is in MY freezer...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of 'em figure it out, eventually. Choke tubes, unless you have but ONE, and I mean, ONE gun, are way overrated.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you watch one of those "Hunting/Informercial" programs by the time you get rigged out with the proper* camo,boots,underwear, insulation,GPS, and the list goes on you're either to tired to go hunting or broke! grin

*Proper being defined as whatever the show sponsors are hyping at that time.
Jim grin

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent thread! Not really OT at all, to me.
Thank you,

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen the same thing at the sporting clay shoots, they see how far the tartget is and then take the time to change chokes, then have to change again for the next target. Thing about it is, most miss. In my opinion if you can shoot it doesn't make any difference within 40 yards.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a Certified Shotgun instructor and I teach youngsters who shoot sporting clays with me just to put in and leave in an Improved Cylinder choke in a single barrelled gun, if a o/u then Improved Cylinder in the bottom and top barrels, or maybe a Light Modified choke in the top barrel and leave all the other chokes at home.
FWIW,
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry about the double post, guys...I have seen many a time a shooter fumble with his choke changing, insted of reading the target and planning the shot(s). Misses usually result
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeez do I remember my first shotgun - a Ted Williams (Sears) 20 ga pump with a Pollychoke. What an abomination for a 12 year old! I remember one dove hunt where I twisted it so many times that I launched it (fortunately- or not - saw where it went). In a testimony to those unidentified engineers, the bloody thing screwed back on. No real difference with the swells who are constantly changing tubes, stock demensions, etc between misses. At least I was twelve.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Joe,

You brought up memories. My first shotgun -a Mossberg 12 ga pump- also had
a Polychoke. I had no shooting instructions as far as shotguns were concerned
and assigned all my misses to improper choke, so I kept turning the thing.
Never launched it but I was a little older than you though.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last week my daughter came over for dear old Dad to change the front axle bearing on her car. She brought a nice Colt Python .357 she'd just bought for, I'm not kidding you, $250.00. She brought some shells and suggested we try it. Told me she was shooting recently with a bunch of her friends and that she was the best shot of the group. We'd shot rifles before but she never wanted to shoot handguns.

I set up a target and gave her ear plugs and muffs and told her to go first from about 20 yds. Her "group" was about 12". I said nothing and took the gun and fired 6 rounds. 5 shots went into under an inch and I pulled the last one out an inch to the right. The group was just outside a 4" bull at 5 O'clock. I told her the sights needed adjusted. She walked up to the target and said, "Holy cow Dad, where'd you learn to shoot like that?" I told her that her Grandfather had taught me and that he told me I wasn't allowed to shoot a repeater until I proved I only needed one shot.

I showed her how to adjust the sights and gave her a lesson and her last groups were under 4 inches. Much better but still room for improvement. I told her we'll load up some mild wadcutter loads and the next time she shoots with her friends she can really make an impression. I think most shooters who feel the need for every gizmo and contraption on the market really never learned to shoot.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.