May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (earlyriser, 12boreman, Bill Davis, KY Jon, 1 invisible), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,530
Posts545,888
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jlt Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I recently purchased a George Bate 12b. The trade label is very faded. but the address is 132 Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham. I have been unabe to find out any information about the firm. From the view mark on the barrel flat the date of maufacture is 1937 and the firm was established in 1850. Any info you might have on the firm and a pic of the trade lable would be greatly appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very much alive and kicking. I am sure Lagopus will be along later with loads of knowledge. After all he has all day to research, some of us have to work ha! ha!
But yes we should be able to furnish you with lots of George Bate information.
They still exist although they are now very much gun retailers. They have a shop in Birmingham and Stafford and one at Doveridge shooting ground, contact there is Matt Morgan, he can be contacted by email at gunroom@premierguns.co.uk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I contacted Bates a few years ago with regard to my old hammer gun. Unfortunatly their records were destroyed in WW2 - thanks Hitler!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

From the IGC:

Richard Henry Bate reportedly established his business in 1850 at 97 Steelhouse Lane, but he was not recorded in the street directories until 1853. A rotary under-lever hammergun has been seen engraved R H Bate Snr, so it may be that this R H Bate was the son who had his own business, or that R H Bate had a son named after himself as well as a son named George.

In 1855 Richard moved to 132 Steelhouse Lane and took additional premises at 88 Weaman Street.

In 1861 the Weaman Street premises were given up in favour of 4 Aston Road which suggests the firm bought or established a barrel making business there.

An 1862 advertisement stated: "R H Bate, 132 Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham. Military Rifle, Gun and Pistol Manufacturer. Double Action Revolving Pistols of every description. Gun Barrel and Rifle Barrel Maker. N.B. Old guns re-stocked and altered into Percussion on most approved principle. Barrels re-bored."

In 1868 the firm was recorded only at 132 Steelhouse Lane.

R H Bate appears to retired or died between 1878 and 1881 and his son, George Bate took over the firm re-naming it after himself by 1890.

In 1898 George probably gave up the Aston Road premises because he acquired other premises at 2 Easy Row; it is likely the Easy Row premises were vacated soon after 1900.

In about 1918, the firm employed William Cross as gunsmith and shop manager, he had previously worked for William Powell.

When the firm acquired limited liability and became G Bate Ltd is not known, probably in the late 1920s.

In 1940 the firm's premises at 132 Steelhouse Lane were bombed and the firm relocated to an unknown address, possibly in Price Street (New Buildings, 63 Price Street not confirmed).

In the early 1950s the Bate family sold the business to William Cross's son, George, and his son, Conrad.

In about 1963 the firm moved to 7 Corporation Street but they retained workshops in New Buildings, 63 Price Street.

In about 1970 they moved to 16 Colmore Circus, Queensway.

In 1976 the firm opened a branch at 7 Market Square, Stafford and a shooting school on the Shugborough estate near Stafford. It may have been at this time that Conrad's son, Nicholas, joined the firm.

In about 1990 the firm in Birmingham changed its name to Bate & Cross (Gunmakers) Ltd, and moved to 8-10 Colmore Circus, Birmingham, they are still trading and still retain the workshops in Price Street.

The shooting school no longer operates and the shop in Stafford trades under the name of George Bate Gunmakers (Stafford) Ltd.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, George Bate had a retail shop in Steelhouse lane, near the Gaumont Theatre in the late 1940,s I believe they continued there until they relocated to Colmore Circus.This was one of the first Birmingham gun makers that I visited circa 1950. I remember the visit well,because I was asked to plug my ears while they test fired a gun in the back workshop.Jack Rowe a Birmingham gun maker, made a plan of the Birmingham gun Quarter circa 1946-50 [F.Y.I.this is the gun quarter as a I remember it].The plan Shows the Bate shop on Steelhouse Lane.This sketch is reproduced in the book "The Birmingham Gunmakers," by D.Tate,page 10

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Salopian. I might only work part time now; in theory, but am always busy. Can't understand how I used to have time to go to work full time.

Pete has furnished as much as can be deduced. I only live about 10 miles from the Doveridge outlet. I have also been into the Stafford shop. He does the rounds of the gun shows but is a bit ambitious with his pricing. Lagopus.....

jlt Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the info, its greatly appreciated. Now if I can just find a picture of the trade label from the 30's. Some one suggested Mike Messina might have one. Any thoughts ? I tried contacting Bate and Galazan with no luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.