May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jeremy Pearce, SKB), 226 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,033
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,I agree with Old Farmer,the nitro proof marks on your gun were in use from 1896 to 1904. Additional marks indicating nitro proof were not applied until after 1904.
Bland was located at 430 West Strand Street, from 1888-1900.this ties in with the date of the nitro proof marks.
The other proof marks seen,indicate: 2 1/2 chambers.Left barrel was proof tested as a 19 bore and has some degree of choke.The right barrel was proof tested as a 20 bore and appears to be true cylinder.
In so far as the case is concerned,I would recommend leaving as is.
I have cleaned and restored a number of similar cases.The Method that I have used was to brush and Vacuum the interior, followed by cleaning the baise with upholstery cleaner and if required solvents to remove oil stains. Care must be taken to avoid saturating the linining as the glue used was a fish glue that is loosened by moisture. In some instances I have been able to repair small holes in the case lining using Billiard cloth/baise of same/similar colours.
In sofar as the crest is concerned, a good source for info; is Fairbairns Crests.this is a scarce book.Perhaps your local library can obtain a copy on loan from the National library in Ottawa,
Nice find !
Should you decide to reline ,I would recomend Arthur Troth.of Mount Brydges,Ontario.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 04/11/11 08:36 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Gents!

Oldfarmer - The scrolled BP over crown is present, just forward of the barrel flats.

George - Rib is inscribed with 430 Bland (same as label).

Balistix999 - this gun is plain compared to yours, I will get additional pics up for you.

All - not contemplating a refinish of case, but contemplating adding a pad & removing small baize covered block at receiver.

Gil - the left barrel is marked 19 (& choke) right marked 20 (no choke).

Roy - thanks for the additional insight (I had forgotten about Mr. Troth)

I will try to follow up on the East Indian angle.

Thanks

Last edited by Mark Dube; 04/11/11 08:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I have the twin to that gun. 30" damascus 20 SLNE, SN 14649. My gun was made 11/18/1895. You did not post your SN. Are we close? Please use my SN as a reference for dating your gun.
I have the 430 West Strand London on my rib. My label is 62 South Castle St. Liverpool, but otherwise it looks like your label. The gun has a 1 on the barrel flats that would make you think it was part of a pair. Alas, the 1 appears nowhere else on the gun. I would like to think it may have started as part of a pair that just never happened.
My gun has the same pre-1896 proofs (21/20) and a more recent London reproof to 70mm in 2002.
T Bland & Son is now owned in the US, by Col. Glenn O. Baker in Pa.
He can provide you with a letter about your gun for a modest fee. His website is www.woodcockhill.com. I used the website to get my letter. Glenn was very prompt in getting my letter to me.

Joe

I will post my pics in the morning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would appear that Mr. Bland cranked out a few of these as I also have a similar example.Mine is a 20 SLNE which appears to be slightly later as it has the 2 King Williams address on the rib,which is 1901 and later,and the serial number 161xx suggests around 1904.It has 28" damascus barrels which were originally only black powder proofed but more recently proofed for 2 3/4" nitro.I will attempt to take some pics later tonight and attach.I have seen several 12 bores over the years of this model.
BTW I would hazard a guess that the case may not be original to the gun as it has room for hammers and is made for a longer length of pull. The barrels also seem to have extra room widthwise at the breech? A little re-fitting will take care of that. Nice find. Terry

Last edited by Terry Lubzinski; 04/12/11 12:02 AM.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great! No my is plainer smile Really nice..well done. smile

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Definately not the original case. You can tell by 1) the colour 2)it's for a hammer gun as someone else mentioned and 3) the label has been stuck on top.

But it doesn't matter. I'd adjust the case to fit the gun personally given it isn't the original case.

Nice one.
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with all of the above on the proofs except cylinder for the R barrel. Absence of the "choke" mark COULD mean cylinder, or it could mean it has some choke--but not a lot. Anything less than .008 was not required to be marked "choke". However, I found that in Engelhardt under the rules of 1904. This gun passed proof under the 1896 rule, and I can't confirm that the same rule for the "choke" mark was in force then. So don't be surprised if you find a little choke--but DO be surprised if you find a lot!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Mark

Very nice gun. That seems usual for you. LOL Keep well.

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry, that's a neat gun. Is it a screw grip ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree, as stated by others that the case may not be origional to the gun.It is worth noting that the case layout is is typical of the universal cases sold by many dealers of the period.[I have several period catalogues that illustrate the case layout seen as well as examples of same].These cases were designed to accomodate a hammer or hammerless gun.In sofar as the colour of the case lining is concerned I have owned case with blue, green and red origional lining.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 04/12/11 07:40 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.