May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (RWG, Jimmy W, Drant, Der Ami, coosa), 948 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,514
Posts545,675
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#22898 01/29/07 06:30 PM
OP Offline

I stripped the stock, several times. Worked it over with steel wool. Now I've got 4 coats of Formbys Tung Oil Finish. It looks great.
What do I do next put it back together, wax it, and shoot it?

I would give it at least 4 more coats.. MDC

I'd hold off on waxing it. I'd let the tung really really cure before I waxed it. (its the buffing part of the waxing that could take some of that tung off in your waxing process)

Some guys might think I'm nuts but i think tung oil takes a month or 2 or even 3 depending on conditions to really cure. I know linseed oil takes at least that long times 1.5.

Waxing could wait if I were you.

Isn;t tung oil a terrific look? What gloss grade did you use? Did you use any pumice or rotten stone at the end?

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to say it but I think Tung Oil sucks as a gunstock finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I hate to say it but I think Tung Oil sucks as a gunstock finish.

But you did. Tell us why.

Hansli #23088 01/30/07 06:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used tung oil and I will continue to use it. I find it to do what I ask it to do.

OP Offline

Whether it sucks or not it's on this gun for now.

What would the pumice or the rotten stone do that steel wool not do? And why treat like that?

This is my first one and it looks good. Oh, Low gloss.
Thanks
DB

Tung can work great, if you know how to use it. Pure Tung is hard to work with and if you dont know how to work with it your results may SUCK.

And a prepared finish like Formby's is modified with dryers and urethanes to make it a lot more forgiving for a novice than pure tung.

If you really want an oil style finish tung beats the snot out of Linseed in moisture protection. Using either one as part of an oil modified polymer finish makes good sense and is the basis for many commercial products, none of which SUCK.

Deltaboy, tyake the advice posted earlier about giving it a month or two. Even though it appears to be finished the oils are continuing to polimerize. Patience is one of the ingredients needed to prevent SUCKING.

Pumice or rottenstone are finer abrasives than OOOO steel wool. They leave much finer scratches, so fine that when done right they just leave a flat even soft surface with no evidence of scratching.

Jeff

Jeff
Sidelock
Sidelock

The additional value of pumice or rottenstone is they leave no broken metal fibers behind. I prefer rottenstone, it is very fine and easy to control.

Hansli #23115 01/30/07 08:29 PM

yeah, what they said (about rottenstone and pumice) :)... It is a long held gunstock finisher and fine wood finisher practice to use rottenstone or pumice to get that really warm surface finish and/or cut down the gloss without as others pointed out scratch the surface.

And, it is great to see others pipe in that oils take months to cure and one should not be in a hurry to wax and buff them.

My buddy just called me and said he is putting on his fourth coat of tung oil on an old gun stock he is refinishing... I converted him to tung oil recently... On the phone he keeps saying to me: "You won't believe how great this stock looks now!"
(Geepers I'm the guy who convinced him to try tung oil! hahaha)

Just another happy convert... although I do know there are many out there who don't like Tung Oil. Everyone has preferences. It's all good.

Last edited by Yogi 000; 01/30/07 08:30 PM.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.