April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (mel5141, David Williamson), 1,021 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael: My second guess would be, it was made by a member of the "THE CUSTOM GUN GUILD" formerly of Norcross Georgia. This was a group of Custom gunmakers active in the early 80's through the early 90's in the Atlanta Area and supported by the local chapter of Safari Club. If not them, then either gunsmith Schley Howard or T.C. Kennon. If not any of these gents, then I'm stumped and I've grown up in Georgia and its' gunmaker's shops for 59 years! Whomever it is...Nice Work! Jerry

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hello Everyone,
That rifle was made by my Granfather, the Late-Great W.C. Slocum from Atlanta Georgia. He made this beauty from around 1935 to 1945. It took him 10 years to make it. He finished it in time for my Late Great father as a welcome home present from WW2.This rifle is entirely made by hand. The barrel use to be a Model T Ford in a previous life. My dad recently passed away, and I could not help but go semi public with it. Thanks for the kudos!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dear Skydog,
Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing pictures of the rifle and the story behind it. It is a great rifle with a wonderful family history.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Skydog (Jim),

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the pictures of the rifle your grandfather built. First let me say that one thing I have learned over the years of doing research is how verbal family history has a way of, well, lets just say....No matter how I might say this it's just not coming across as I want it.

I think I might be able to clear up a few things.

The Technique
"The South's Livest College Weekly"
Georgia School of Technology
VOL. XXIV
THE TECHNIQUE, ATLANTA, GEORGIA, FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 1934

W. C. Slocum Obtains
Recognition From
Winchester Arms
Recently Tech was given a little indirect publicity in which the student body might be interested.

Mr. W. C. Slocum, the master crafts­man in charge of the shop in the Aeronautical Department, is the man to whom we are indebted in no small way. Mr. Slocum has been spending most of his leisure time during the past six months in making by hand a .22 rifle of the Hornet type for his son. Winchester Arms Company of America heard about Mr. Slocum's work, and sent a special representative to Atlanta to look into the matter. The result was that Mr. Slocum was offered a position with the Winchester Company, which he declined to accept; a very fortunate thing for Tech.
In the construction of the bolt of this rifle Mr. Slocum incorporated his inventive ability to such an extent that it is like no other bolt made to fit the Hornet .22 rifle, a fact which may in time simplify the manufacture of rifles to a great extent. The bolt is much simpler and much more compact than any of the well known makes. The representative praised Mr. Slocum's work highly, and complimented Tech on having such a resourceful man in its employ. However, Mr. Slocum, a'modest man, stated that his sole purpose in making the rifle was to provide a little entertainment for his son. Anyway we appreciate the publicity. Many thanks, Mr. Slocum, and keep up the good work.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a story. There are a few of those guys out there, still.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I sure would have liked to have known him and been a student.What a craftsman.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What more can anyone say.??? It's AWSUM

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thank you everyone....Especially you Michael! I know what your saying..."lost in the translation." To fill everyone in on what else Michael and I have been working on. My late father, late uncle and a late sports writer in the Atlanta Constitution named O.B. Keeler credit Granddaddy with being the
wildcatter who came up with the .218 Bee. Winchester gave him a U.S. Army presentation grade 1895 30-40 Krag for his efforts. This is somewhat confusing since this other fellow in Wisconcin is also credited. This was a beautiful rifle with a birdseye maple stock. Unfortunatly, It was stolen in the mid '70s.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"lost in the translation." much better said than I did. It's easy to offend folks and it seems like I do that on a regular bases. I need to pay attention to the Antique Roadshow when they tell people the same thing.

Many years ago I was down in the states interviewing several people, one was the son of a well known gunmaker. I spent several hours with him and had my tape recorder going, 90% or more of what he told me was wrong, even their nationality. I learned to be careful after that.

Is the rifle a repeater or a single-shot?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears to have a floor plate.

Ole Cowboy
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.