May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (dogon, Ken Nelson, ksauers1, eeb, bigblock, Jimmy W), 1,120 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,514
Posts545,672
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been using Formby's tung oil in low gloss and high gloss for years not only on gun stocks but on fine furniture. The last gunstock project I did I mixed the low gloss Tung oil 50/50 with boiled linseed oil and bu using it VERY sparingly..... literally half a drop per side of a SxS stock, and rubbing it in thouroughly, the finished product was amazing. I put on a coat every evening while watching TV for about a month, each coat taking about two hours to rub in. The results are a soft and satin finish that is very deep. After at least two months in the safe I completed it by using Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax, a carnuba wax in a petroleum base, this dries very hard. I use this on the whole gun, to include all metal parts. Looks great!

Last edited by Steve Lawson; 01/31/07 11:06 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone interested in another mans opinion on tung oil, read http://doublegunshop.com/phiatt3.htm . Mr. Peter Hiatt has a lot of experience finishing gunstocks. He is a member of this board also. Tung oil does offer the best protection against water, but then again it has its downsides. It does take a long time to completely dry, even if you add driers to your finishing mix.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Why play football in cashmere.
Indeed! I've used a lot of the American "barracks soldier" version of Hadoke's linseed-based goop (BL, turps, beeswax but without the Venice turps resin)as a shiny patch over not so great to worn finishes. Said to be quite permeable and it certainly water-spots. Question: Did the "London oil finish" originally suffer from the same failings? What is the timeline? Does the current version contain synthetic resins or urethanes?

jack

CMWill #23262 01/31/07 12:45 PM

Something else to consider about tung oil. Some people can develope an allergic reaction to it. If I remember reading a tech sheet correctly about 10-15% of people are reactive to it in some way.

Tony

Last edited by Tony 21; 01/31/07 12:46 PM.
OP Offline

Well, hell this is just an old beater. About 1 in 10 times out it's raining. That's what happened to the original finish. Looks great now.

Pete Hyatt's process is great, but he's just using a commercially prepared blend of polimerizing oils and mineral spirits, similar to what I make at home...

By the way, if you look up the MSDS sheets for Tru-Oil you'll find out that it is:

56% mineral spirits
33% Modified oil
11% Linseed oil

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mull; 01/31/07 09:19 PM.

Jeff
Hansli #23411 02/01/07 09:17 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hansli
Quote:
Years ago I used Homer Forbys 'dung' oil and didn't like it.

Here is Dig's (highly recommended)formula for oil finish:

Boiled linseed oil – 16 oz
Spirits of turpentine – 2 oz
Carnauba wax – 200 grains
Venice turpentine - 2 teaspoonfuls
Mix together and heat until it simmers. Simmer for ten minutes then allow to cool.
Be careful it does not catch fire -!!!!

Why play football in cashmere.

Because cashmere reminds yOu of your high school sweet heart ?

You left out the Gumbracher brand name or use equivilant Artists oils and turps.
Where's the Cobalt dryer ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

TruOil, Linspeed, Formbys, Minwax, Permalyn, ProCustom, Deft Danish, Watco Danish, Napiers, CCL, Pilkingtons and countless homebrews.....have all "worked" for me to a certain extent...

But after 30 years of experimenting, I've found the best....

https://www.waterlox.com/default.aspx

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Because cashmere reminds yOu of your high school sweet heart ?

Not exactly, but its high quality, soft hand and gentle warmth reminds me more of your replies than anything else.

Quote:
You left out the Gumbracher brand name or use equivilant Artists oils and turps.
Where's the Cobalt dryer ?

I made you the sandwich dear, put your own mustard on it.

Hansli #23426 02/01/07 10:51 AM

I refinished a couple of Parker stocks a few years back using Tru Oil cut with a little turpentine and "mineral spirits". Used the 0000 steel wool route and Formby's stripper for removal of the original finish (modified Wonko version). Then 14 coats hand-rubbed and knocked down between applications using rottenstone paste made out of uncut Tru Oil right out of the bottle. The 0000 leaves no trace of fibers or threads and the rottenstone makes a "grinding slurry" that leaves and ultra-marble smooth finish, filling pores and layering out the finish. A long and laborious process but the results are spectacular. KBM

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.