May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Karl Graebner, bushveld, 1 invisible), 263 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,566
Posts546,397
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Kraft #243122 09/08/11 03:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony, I couldn't agree more with Kraft.

I am constantly amazed at the opportunity the internet has provided for sharing of information. For beginners like myself, it is extraordinary, not only what we can read and learn, but the specific feedback we can get on occasion from the best in the business.

As well, and more entertainingly, we get to learn from amateurs like yourself, who have decided to plunge in with both feet and then share your experiences.

Reading threads like yours is why I'm on this BB and frankly, it is sometimes in the back and forth of competing ideas (opinions) that I learn the most. However, I must admit I prefer that a certain level of politeness be maintained.

Regards,

James
Originally Posted By: Kraft
Tony;
I read this forum several times a day when not at work....but don't post very often. Guess I'm one o them "lurkers". Just like you to know how much I enjoy your pictures, and your writings of your projects. As a wannabe who tinkers with old guns, I think we are all in pretty fast company around here what with the likes of SDH, Crossed Chisles and the others who will take the time to return E mails and answer rookie questions. Have learned much from them as well as from yourself.
Gonna hang my ass out in the breeze here and say that you should post all the pix you like. I for one, look forward to them.
Hoping this finds you and yours well;
Respectfully
Kraft

Last edited by canvasback; 09/08/11 03:56 PM. Reason: grammar

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony,
There are many old doubles out there that will never be worth any sort of effort to "restore", or make otherwise usuable. Their destiny is to rust-away in some forgotten corner or grace a wall somewhere, gathering dust and cobwebs. If you enjoy the Herculean effort to make them shootable, and more importantly, learn about their wonderful craftsmanship and somehow connect with the men that made them as you work the venerable, old steel, what's the harm? Opinions are like bung-holes; everyone has one. Unfortunatley, the converse is true too.

Pictures please,

C.

Last edited by C. Kofoed; 09/08/11 03:53 PM.
pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

tony: unfortunatly we have a few that dont speak for the majority of us. your work is inspiring to a great many of us. dont let the turds discourage you. i for one of many want you to continue with your picture posting and your updates of your projects. my best bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought you WERE one of the experts...Steve

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Humbled. But really I have so much to learn. The guys at Price Street are the real masters...I just watch and tweak based on what I see from the true artists. Here are some pictures.

A bit about the gun. This gun has been waiting for the stock to be finished. I put the final coat on last night and other than a bit of oil it's done. I saw this gun and auction at the last Holt's. I'd wanted a Greener to restore for a long time and really like them. This is a FP45/50 so a top end Greener, one below Royal, that sort of scale. It's got a Facile Princeps action and is rather a clever gun. Greener went to court with Westley Richards over this action twice in the later 19th and early 20th century. He won both times. This gun has a really nice piece of wood and it's had 40 or more coats of oil and a tru-oil blend at the end on it. I've had to fix wear on the sears but other than that it's been a complete restoration and I've really enjoy it. I love this gun.

Forgive my finger prints and a few screws need a final tighten...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here it is before I ruined it.

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

smile

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I second the comments of the "silent majority" and "lurkers" penned above. Perhaps their comments will induce some to pause before before they write. Keep it up, Tony!

Welder

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony, what a lovely transformation! I figured when you said that you would not post the pictures, that it's your Greener, your photographs and your decision whether to just put the photos in your own blog or share them with us here. Glad you decided to share. We may not deserve your generosity always, but we do indeed appreciate it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony, so this was the beauty you were undesided to show us, wow you donīt know how much we enjoy your skills and will to share them, keep on....you make this forum more lively.

Regards

EJSXS

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.