May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (earlyriser, SKB, Guy Ave, AGS, Jtplumb, Lloyd3), 412 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,469
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

How old is the gun and what kind of gun? Lots of questions need to be answered first before we can even begin to speculate on Gene's problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just finished reading "Use Enough Gun" again. It's suprising how man times Selby's W-R doubled (that Ruark was using)...Wouldn't want of steady diet of that!!!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's a relatively new RBL.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Test it thusly...

Use a primed case or a snap cap with masking tape over the 'primer' in the left barrel, and shoot some singles skeet or whatever with the right.

Inspect between shots.

Shoot maybe 50 shells. If it dosen't double, it was you.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Hard to get a "true" double with a DT gun by slipping from the front trigger to the back.

left handed...hot barrels it's not real hard.

By a "true" double, I mean a virtually simultaneous report. You can't move your finger fast enough, from one trigger to the other, to do that. Those that have been around guns that have doubled will have observed one big boom (true double), as well as a very fast boom-boom, two distinct but very rapid reports. Unless you have two fingers in the trigger guard and pull both at the same time, the one big boom isn't going to happen as a result of anything you do with your trigger finger, on a DT gun.

Re Jones' test, all you need is the snap cap, and you don't need to examine anything. After you've pulled the front trigger, pull the rear. If it goes click, the gun would not have doubled had that barrel been loaded with a live round. If that hammer dropped (slack trigger when you pull it) and you're sure you did not slip back to the rear trigger, then you've likely got a sear issue.

Last edited by L. Brown; 09/14/11 06:09 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There was a slight difference, guy asked me "Did you just double?" Fast, but not simultaneous.

I shot it 75 rounds after that, no problems.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Hard to get a "true" double with a DT gun by slipping from the front trigger to the back.

left handed...hot barrels it's not real hard.

By a "true" double, I mean a virtually simultaneous report. You can't move your finger fast enough, from one trigger to the other, to do that. Those that have been around guns that have doubled will have observed one big boom (true double), as well as a very fast boom-boom, two distinct but very rapid reports. Unless you have two fingers in the trigger guard and pull both at the same time, the one big boom isn't going to happen as a result of anything you do with your trigger finger, on a DT gun.

Re Jones' test, all you need is the snap cap, and you don't need to examine anything. After you've pulled the front trigger, pull the rear. If it goes click, the gun would not have doubled had that barrel been loaded with a live round. If that hammer dropped (slack trigger when you pull it) and you're sure you did not slip back to the rear trigger, then you've likely got a sear issue.

If you are left handed it most certainly can be done....if you are right handed it's damn near impossible for your finger to slip back and hit the rear trigger. (yOu should get out more Brown)

Sidelock
Sidelock

[left handed...hot barrels it's not real hard. [/quote]

If you are left handed it most certainly can be done....if you are right handed it's damn near impossible for your finger to slip back and hit the rear trigger. (yOu should get out more Brown) [/quote]

I'm not trying to be a smart alec but how is it any different whether you are left or right handed? What are the mechanics involved with it? Since I'm ambidextrous I just might have to give this a try. I always have shot shotguns right handed but with rifle/pistol I will alternate as the situation dictates.

Last edited by J.R.B.; 09/15/11 09:08 AM.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not trying to be a smart alec but how is it any different whether you are left or right handed? What are the mechanics involved with it? Since I'm ambidextrous I just might have to give this a try. I always have shot shotguns right handed but with rifle/pistol I will alternate as the situation dictates. [/quote]

Left-handed shooter's trigger finger has to stretch towards muzzle and then to the far right to shoot the right barrel on conventional layout of double triggers. If the finger slips off, the left barrel's trigger is easier to hit with the finger because rear trigger is on left side of gun and more exposed because of offset to the left. All this can be compounded by sweaty trigger finger on a hot day and not reaching quite far enough with trigger finger.
Right-handed shooter less likely to do the same. Nothing against you left handers. wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
[left handed...hot barrels it's not real hard.

If you are left handed it most certainly can be done....if you are right handed it's damn near impossible for your finger to slip back and hit the rear trigger. (yOu should get out more Brown) [/quote]

I'm not trying to be a smart alec but how is it any different whether you are left or right handed? What are the mechanics involved with it? Since I'm ambidextrous I just might have to give this a try. I always have shot shotguns right handed but with rifle/pistol I will alternate as the situation dictates. [/quote]

I think it has to do with the trigger layout. if you are shooting right hand the front trigger is on the right side. Back trigger is on left side.

However if you shoot it left hand then the back trigger is lined up closer to your finger.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.