April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, StevenD, canvasback, PALUNC, Marks_21), 561 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,078
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS

Left-handed shooter's trigger finger has to stretch towards muzzle and then to the far right to shoot the right barrel on conventional layout of double triggers. If the finger slips off, the left barrel's trigger is easier to hit with the finger because rear trigger is on left side of gun and more exposed because of offset to the left. All this can be compounded by sweaty trigger finger on a hot day and not reaching quite far enough with trigger finger.
Right-handed shooter less likely to do the same. Nothing against you left handers. wink

I am a left handed shooter and that explanation makes no sense to me at all......unless one has big fat fingers or child size fingers...........a "quarter of an inch" sideways has zero bearing on trigger pull for me -(I suspect most average male shooters as well)- and I am always wearing gloves..........the geometry just doesn't add up to support that explanation...........the trigger pull motion is fore and aft only, not left and right...and should be just a finger tip motion.............On most double trigger guns, the front trigger curves left to the center line of the trigger plate and the rear trigger curves right to the center line of the trigger plate....so both trigger tips are centered and in line if installed properly.........................

I suppose some people will call that "far right" and "stretching"...........but I don't..............

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J Randol

I think it has to do with the trigger layout. if you are shooting right hand the front trigger is on the right side. Back trigger is on left side.

However if you shoot it left hand then the back trigger is lined up closer to your finger.

Exactly.....all it takes is a hot barrel causing a loose forearm grip and cha-boom.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This was the first shot (two shots, actually) out of a cold barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gnomon
The rear trigger should be a bit greater, say by about a half-pound.

Please explain why you think that is important.

I've read that as long as I remember and can make no sense of it whatsoever. If it is so that the trigger finger can move to the rear trigger safely, without setting it off, it assumes that the front trigger will always be fired first, which flies in the face of the argument for double triggers to begin with. If it is supposed to be because the recoil from the right barrel will not jar the sear out of bent, then the geometry of the sear and notch is wrong. A trigger pull that is safe on the right trigger can be duplicated on the left and be perfectly capable of withstanding severe recoil without going off.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, you're right.

I might pull that second trigger with a trigger pull gauge.

A few times.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24
Originally Posted By: GLS

Left-handed shooter's trigger finger has to stretch towards muzzle and then to the far right to shoot the right barrel on conventional layout of double triggers. If the finger slips off, the left barrel's trigger is easier to hit with the finger because rear trigger is on left side of gun and more exposed because of offset to the left. All this can be compounded by sweaty trigger finger on a hot day and not reaching quite far enough with trigger finger.
Right-handed shooter less likely to do the same. Nothing against you left handers. wink

I am a left handed shooter and that explanation makes no sense to me at all......

I'm also left handed. I remember when I first really got into SxS's...we were sitting around the gun club talking shotguns and I remarked that from the looks of the double trigger layout they were designed perfectly for a left handed shooter.

It was quickly explained to me that it was just the opposite. Being hard headed it took some further explaining why they were designed like they were. It was explained they were set up like they are to keep your finger from sweeping the rear trigger should it come off the front trigger. Considering the mans expertise it made perfect sense to me.
I usually shoot skeet with about 6 or 7 guys and there was always time for the barrels to cool. Later that very day I went down to the five stand....it was very hot and I had forgotten my hand guard after a few shots my gun started doubling. I remarked to the fellow I was shooting with that I needed to get my gun looked at...he said there's nothing wrong with your gun remember what we just talked about ?

Hot barrels, causing a loose hold combined with being left handed caused my trigger finger under recoil to sweep back and hit the rear trigger that by design could never happen to a right handed shooter.
I had it happen another time when I shot a turkey with my 10 ga. The turkey came in....went behind a tree I picked up had a relaxed 'loose hold' on the hammer gun and touched the front trigger both barrels let off....250 grains of black powder felt like a car wreck.

From now on I shoot the rear trigger first turkey hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

I'm also left handed. I remember when I first really got into SxS's...we were sitting around the gun club talking shotguns and I remarked that from the looks of the double trigger layout they were designed perfectly for a left handed shooter.

I had it happen another time when I shot a turkey with my 10 ga. The turkey came in....went behind a tree I picked up had a relaxed 'loose hold' on the hammer gun and touched the front trigger both barrels let off....250 grains of black powder felt like a car wreck.

jOe you must have very fat fingers...all quality double gun triggers are designed to curve in and intersect a center line on the trigger plate......did you ever notice the curve in the triggers and wonder why they curve towards the center line.....? .......The curve of the front trigger and the rear trigger are in line and are dead center if properly installed..........."the front trigger curves in to the left, the rear trigger curves in to the right".......GEE I WONDER WHY THEY DID THAT..........?.............

Do you use the tip of your finger or some other bulkier part..........?............

Interestingly a different group of guys that I hang out with had the same discussion and understand the geometry that is designed into these double shotguns and how to use them properly.........I guess different groups think and see different things........?.............

I have never had a double gun double unintentionally................

You're right, just keep pulling the back trigger first mate.............

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Luckily I'm only left handed....not left minded.

I've never owned an LC Smith only quality English guns.

Go to the five stand with no gloves or barrel guard and heat her up real good "mate".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just re-read Shotguns By Keith and old Elmer says the same thing about left handed people. I'm not going to worry about it because all of my shotgunning is done right handed but a good gunsmith should be able to reverse the triggers from left to right for the left handed people. Because I'm ambidextrous I'll save any left handed shooting for rifle and pistol as the need arises.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Fortunately when I hunted turkeys with a NID 10 gauge (3.5"), it never doubled. While I only had about 100 total grains of smokeless powder, I was handloading 2 1/8 oz of lead in the left and 2.5 oz. spreader load (my Claymore mine load) in the right--1,998.56 grains of lead. It would have nailed me through the tree had it doubled.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.