April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Pwog, SKB, skeettx, Argo44, 1 invisible), 384 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,793
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am going to give my hand a try at slow rust bluing a couple of old (inexpensive) SxS's I have. I have read various articles/info about the process and most were along the same lines. But in one article I read, it said to drill a small hole on the bottom rib (under the forearm where it won't be seen) to allow the ribs to vent. The other articles didn't mention that so I'm wondering if it is really necessary. Wouldn't drilling a hole allow boiling water to realy get between the ribs?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If there isn't one already there I wouldn't put one in. In some American doubles I believe they were manufactured in. Hardly ever in English guns. That's my view. I'm sure there are others... smile

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the idea behind drilling a small relief hole in the bottom rib was/is to allow the pressure inside the ribs/barrels to equalize durring the boiling process used to convert the brown "rust" to black "rust". Frankly I see no need for a relief hole due to the limited amount of time the barrels are allowed to boil and small pressure increase caused by heating the small amount of air trapped by the ribs/barrels for such a short duration.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree, I have done quite a few barrels and find no logical reason for the hole. If the bbls are soldered properly water will not get in and if not the water will evaporate without the hole. YOu do see bubbles of air coming out the hole(or where the solder is weak),but water evaporates and there is not any caustics in the water that you boil with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've done a half dozen or so doubles. Never heard of drilling a hole and never have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My original mentor on the process makes it a rule to immerse the barrels in vey hot water before any processing starts in order to find leaks and pin holes. These of course show up as a stream of bubbles, much like a bike tyre puncture.

If any do show up, they are fixed before the rusting proceeds.

Eug

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends how much they leak , this is when people drill vent holes ,not to relieve pressure but to drain out any water that gets in them out. If they are leaking badly then strip and relay the ribs before you waste any more time as seeping water will marr the black.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info guys. I will not bother with the hole. However, I will submerge them first as Eugene mentioned to see if or how badly they leak.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've done mostly L.C. Smiths, and all that I have done have a hole beneath the barrel lug (for-end fastener). As gunman has said, if the water does not come out, and it weeps out in other places, it wil ruin your finish.
I use a propane torch and run it up and down the barrels to get the water out, takes a few times, and you don't want to make them too hot, just enough to get the water out.
Also taping them against your hand helps get some out.
The more junk underneath the ribs, the harder to get the water out.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you will find that most barrels do leak to some degree. That means water to some degree will get in. As they are hanging to dry, keep an eye on them for drips coming out of the void in the ribs/barrels because that is where your water spoting will come from. Generally I don't put a hole in the bottom rib if I don't have to but if the water won't come out quickly enough to avoid spotting you may have to put one in.

[IMG]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.