April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, Ducks Rx, Roundsworth, Hammergun), 388 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the last quote I got on one, was north of 4 grand...put me out of the line....

Sidelock
Sidelock

It all depends on the wood but the range is going to be 4,000 - 6,000. There are plenty of considerations that will drive that price up. Call Dennis or Toby Leeds or others and start the educational portion of the process.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why is it so expensive? Is it cost of wood primarily, too few good stockers or the time to do it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Why is it so expensive? Is it cost of wood primarily, too few good stockers or the time to do it?

King, I hesitated to get into this discussion but you asked the right question and deserve a reasonable answer - at least the best that I can come up with.

My base price for stocking a sidelock is $4200. That price means fitted properly to the metal, finished with a modified oil finish that you can see in the following photo and checkered in a standard point pattern appropriate to the gun. That price does not include the cost of the wood, a leather covered pad, a skeleton butt plate or perhaps a complex checkering pattern. As far a wood goes I always tell the client to buy the best that they can afford because my labor is the same whether its a $250 blank or a $2500 blank.

Why is it so expensive???? Well, it takes me a least 100 hours to do the job and that means that from an hourly rate perspective I make less than your plumber. I should state that I am not fast, if you want fast take the work to "Bubba" down the road. BTW I've seen Bubba's work!

The pictures that I'm posting for reference are of a Lefever Optimus Quality gun. Its a close as I can come to a sidelock gun at the moment and is IMO one of the most difficult shotguns to stock because of the shape of the top tang. This frame has to be inletted from the top down and you only get one chance to get it right. The checkering photo is to illustrate how a checkering pattern can make a huge difference in the stocking cost. This pattern with a matching forend would be an additional $1400 added to the stocking cost.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, 4 to 6 thousand for restocking a sidelock thats extremely reasonable. I would expect that for a boxlock not a sidelock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's interesting though is that even when you take inflation over the last 110 years into account that means that in 1900 I'll bet you got the entire gun for less money than what it costs to simply restock it today. I'm not certain of this, but even with my feeble mathamatical abilities $40 in 1900 is far less than $4200 today. Maybe Carter was right in the 1970's when he said "Isn't inflation great, we'll all soon be millionaires!" or was that from SNL.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Doug-

Nice job.

You 'da man.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug;

What would be the ballpark cost to restock an Anson and Deeley type boxlock?

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

On restocking jobs, be it boxlock or sidelock, you usually get what you pay for. And stocking a sidelock with nice wood is expensive.

Paul Hodgins out of Utah comes highly recommended. I have not used him yet but have spoken to him a couple of times when I was considering purchasing a gun that needed restocking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Doug. Well said. Well done on the Lefever.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.