May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Argo44), 217 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,170
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2500 09/22/06 05:37 PM
JM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've been looking around for a hammergun recently. Some of the guns I've looked at have damascus barrels. Of these guns some have been re-browned, some original. Since I've never owned a damascus gun, this got me thinking about the finish.

Is there anything specific that one should do or not do to preserve the finish? Is the finish subject to wear like case coloring from being handled or when cleaning the gun?

(Craig, if you're reading this, I can imagine the smile on your face! )

GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clean the barrels with acetone and give 'em two coats of spray Tru-Oil. It's a very effective alternative to wax.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing Dr. Gaddy used to recommend was Behlen's Spray lacquer, in gloss. Pt # 101-0800. After cleaning ALL oil etc.off just spray on. Several light coats are best. I've found it is easy to use, easy to reapply or touch up. I generally apply wax on top of that, but mostly because I wax the whole gun anyway. I got one spray can from Woodworker's Supply via mail over a year ago, and have done about 6 guns and have plenty left. I would recommend against any bake on lacquer finishes as touch up or removal would be a real bugger. I this stuff isn't to your liking just wipe off with acetone.
Frank

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm smiling... I shot a 23 with Purdey #2 last night.
The two suggestions above are good. Spray shellac will work as well.
I personally like the finish of something wiped on by hand, vs. something sprayed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by CFWs:
I'm smiling... I shot a 23 with Purdey #2 last night.
Pictures please?

Yes, Oscar recommended Behlen's, and in his later work (I have a 2002 example) he used Tru Oil (which he suggested in that era) -- hand applied from close examination.

Fred
JM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So there is something to be concerned about that there needs, or at least should, be some kind of protection on the finish.

Craig, I shot a 22 with the Westley Richards. I dropped the long bird on the third station twice (DOH!), and I dropped one on the teal. We need to talk a bit about this.

dubbletruble, Craig's Purdeys are magnificent!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just had two sets of damascus barrels redone....the craftsman who did a superb job recommended using a wax product named Briwax. Use the clear version. He also recommended using it on case harded surfaces. The wax goes on easily and rubs off easily with a soft rag. Briwax can be purchased at most furniture repair type shops.

Luck is the residue of good intention and hard work.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Briwax on mine and it looks great so far. It is easy to remove with acetone and it goes on by hand. Just be careful on a matted rib. You need to apply very lightly and use a soft brush to polish out so it doesn't cake up.

Bill G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The reason to seal the Damascus is to preclude oxidation. The high contrast black and white that Oscar was known for will revert back to the more stable brown and white in time (usually a long time depending on conditions) but when you add body oils and salts etc with available oxygen in air then it happens faster. Thus a hard barrier finish preserves the best.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.