April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, LeFusil, Der Ami, LRF, 2 invisible), 1,033 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,126
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone know the history of vent ribs on side-by-sides?

I don't understand what role they're supposed to play or what advantage they're suppose to have.

Thanks

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like them on some SXS
BUT some folks think that an XKE Jag is ugly
They were proported to desperse heat waves
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike-

Thanks. I've heard that, but I wonder if it is true.

Is their height above the rib supposed to make you shoot higher? Is that an advantage?

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

They are supposed to dissipate heat of rapid firing better than plain barrels or solid ribs. Mostly, IMO, they are a fashion que.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not only does a vented rib on a SXS not transmit barrel heat to the top surface of the rib thereby creating distorting heat waves but it also allows for a rib positioned higher at the breech end than at the muzzles (in order to have a more elevated POI) while eliminating the additional weight necessitated by a solid rib thick enough to replicate the same POI characteristics as the vented rib.

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 11/17/11 11:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having never seen a really low ventilated rib, I suspect that its addition is an attempt to wed the single sighting plane with the double barrel profile. To me, it doesn't make sense to try to achieve the sight picture of a single barrel gun with a side by side. The real advantage of a side by side is in estimation of elevation, as well of course as keeping ones' focus when swinging against a background of heavy brush. The advantage of the over under or single barrel is precision in the horizontal plane of the 90 degree crossing shot. Therefore the side by side really shines on live pigeon shoots or driven, incoming scottish grouse, or departing trap style angles, or rabbits against a brushy background, and other HUNTING presentations. The single barrel profile is winning the clay games, we might as well admit--even if it is a matter of contestant preference. Will an elevated vent rib change that and give the best of both worlds? Debatable, especially since it is hard to shoot and throw up at the same time...Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who has a vent rib SXS besides me?
Do you like the shotgun it is on?
Do you shoot it well.
I shoot mine quite well,
BUT if you are LOOKING at the rib,
you are NOT looking at the target
Mike

p.s. same with a swamped rib, matte rib, etc smile

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentleman, It all relates to competitive shooting,pigeon, trap, skeet. Has to do with shooting enough shells in a small enough time to create heat waves that distort sight picture. That's all it's about. If you ever shot a round of trap doubles "100" targets when it is in the 90 degree range you know all about it. Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Given that the two barrels are on either side of the rib and within a fraction of an inch of it, I will go with the fashion statement explanation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Given that the two barrels are on either side of the rib and within a fraction of an inch of it, I will go with the fashion statement explanation.

Me, too. Any heat waves generated by a rib will be lost in those generated by the barrels. I have shot barrels on S x Ss mighty hot, but never missed a bird because of mirage. Biggest problem there is holding the hot barrels, and a vent rib ain't gonna help that none.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.