April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (buckstix, Jem Finch, Vall, 2 invisible), 1,052 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,122
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry, I'll post a day, time and location early next week. Or, leave word with Toby Barclay's table.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"MOI's". I need some help. ?????

Sidelock
Sidelock

MOI = moment of inertia = swing effort = muscle effort required to point the gun in a different direction. MOI is to swinging the gun as weight is to lifting the gun. I do gun handling profiles of weight (lift, hold, carry), teeter-totter balance (weight proportioning into each hand), unmounted swing effort (changing the direction the gun points before mounting to shoulder), mounted swing effort (changing the direction the gun points after mounting to shoulder), and half weight radius (gun compactness). These factors quantify the handling of guns and allow direct comparisons among guns; much as stock dimensions allow comparisons of gun stock fit.

Questions?

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will be there Thurs and Friday and have a name tag hanging around my neck.Could be at Kirbys booth or surfing the venue.Please say hello if you see me stagger by....

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman,

Thanks for your detailed explanation of MOI. I never would have guessed what it might be and its application to shooting. At least I don't remember that part of it back 50 years ago in my college physics and strength of materials classes.

Now I've got another reason when I miss those pesky clay pigeons. Not sure when I try explaining this to my shooting buddies it will be well understood tho.

I'm sure some other rookies like myself will appreciate your help.

Jolly

Sidelock
Sidelock

JB, you should have run headlong into MOI in Statics and Dynamics. It is the same number, but the use in Strength of Materials is different.

Gough Thomas (Brit ME) did a body of work and published it in the '60's. Unfortunately, I redid it before being tipped off to his books. I have carried the work a ood deal further.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd love to come out but due to my condition if I got ill out there it could break our savings! For those that do go, then I hope you have a great time!, it looks really fun.

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman,
I am looking forward to a demonstration of how you measure MOI. I will be with Terry at the Lefever tables. I hope you can make time to give us all a demonstration. I would like to describe the process for our newsletter.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will be there with 3 friends, (2 current and 1 who move out of CA), members of the CA Side by Side Society. I am sure a few more of our club will be there.

I'll be looking for an LC Smith SBT... anyone got one for sale?

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr. Bob, I'll look you up and we will give some guns a spin. Pick out some guns you would be interested in.

DDA

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.